Cable vs Wifi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FuriaAlba, Feb 18, 2016.

1. ShaKira2008

ShaKira2008 Member

Thank you Galdirian.

2. itsthem

itsthem Active Member

I shall take that as a yes lol

3. ShaKira2008

ShaKira2008 Member

Are you done yet?

4. Fullneo

Fullneo Well-Known Member

For wireless:
    It will depend if you Wireless emitter is in the same room than you or not.
    If it's not in the same room than you, it will depends on the wall's structure.
    If wall structure is ok then it will depends on the distance between you emitter and you receiver...
    Also it may depend on you wireless emitter/receiver quality.

Cable:
    Cable is not depend of you environment (as long as it's a pair twisted cable).

Personally I don't think it will change anything with you latency because for 9D it will mainly due to the path between you computer and the 9Dserver.

5. FuriaAlba

FuriaAlba Well-Known Member

I already said it's not for 9D, this busted game is same as super mario for my PC >.>

The router is like 2 m away just that my walls are like 30-40 cm thick and that reduces some of it's power and I guess the router is old also since I have it for like 5-6 years. The latency I have with the game I want isn't bad just that I was interested to see how much better is cable vs wifi in general so I know if it's worth it to drill a hole thru 2 walls to get that cable over here. lol

Or as a alternative I might buy a longer USB cable to connect my wifi stick and drag it even closer in the other room, might get it to max signal and be a lazy way to increase performance. :D

6. Fullneo

Fullneo Well-Known Member

Yeah sorry I am so used to 9D than I haven't noticed it, I should have said planetside 2. ><
    The wall are large but the part I am worry is more about the inner structure of the walls, especially if you have regular metal structure inside...
    The USB cable might be the cheaper idea, however remember that if you want more than 5 m you will need a repeater :)

7. Blitzcronk

Blitzcronk Well-Known Member

@FuriaAlba

Yes and no. Before 802.11n was introduced as a common standard, the speeds of 802.11g made ethernet a more suitable choice for connectivity. With a lot of routers and end-devices supporting 802.11g/n/ac there isn't a huge amount of speed difference between them.

A standard Cat5e cable can support up to 100 mbp/s (the UTP or STP) isn't necessarily about speed but to reduce noise or 'cross talk'. You will notice difference just based on how wireless works, there is a lot less interference with ethernet and you have a direct-line to your router, opposed to essentially bouncing a receiver to and from a end-device.

The signals that bounce around although being digital still use analogue waves which can be reduced or interfered with depending on the environment. What speeds can your NIC support and what speeds can your wireless adapter support, what is the standard on the device?

Many things can produce interference: environment, network range, sharing network resources.

8. FuriaAlba

FuriaAlba Well-Known Member

Well I might just try a couple of stuff to improve the latency, really not in the mood for that cable, you know it's just for a game and not something really important. I don't know exactly what performance the stick has, I know the router is specified to do 100/mbs at up to 200m and it's asus as a brand. I am never in the mood to work on pc's since my parents always makes something out of their pc's/phones getting them broken in ways not even they know, and I have to fix them >.>