Cable vs Wifi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FuriaAlba, Feb 18, 2016.

1. FuriaAlba

FuriaAlba Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me how much of a difference could it make changing from wifi to Ethernet cable connection?
    I have a latency of about 50-100 ms during planetside 2 gameplay but I know that changing on cable would reduce it but at what extend, since it would require some weird modifications in my house to be able to drag the cable to my PC to know if it's a worthwhile "strugle".

2. Falcon

Falcon Active Member

I tested myself too, if you have good signar and you dont connect to a wifi thats 1km away should be fine ... not big difference :)

3. itsthem

itsthem Active Member

Ethernet cable is always better, less chance of anything interfering with your connection.

BTW in that vid he puts a Ethernet cable into and USB converter, that would effect the connection slightly.

Oitza likes this.
  4. Galdirian

Galdirian Member

It should not make that much of a difference if the wireless is in the same or next room from the device (PC/laptop) that you are using to play. But I would still highly recommend using ethernet cable. It will reduce the lag (if you had any) and it will most definitely make the connection more stable.

Oitza likes this.
  5. FuriaAlba

Well the router isn't far away, it's just behind a couple of thick walls, my signal is usually at good, not perfect or let's say 3 out of 5 possible lines. I know that cable is better, my curiosty is mostly at what extent is it better compared to wifi when your signal is mostly good. I mostly want a improvment cause I usually lose the fast 1v1 with people because I feel that latency is enough to give that small advantage to my oponent. >.>

Oitza likes this.
  6. Kalzi

Kalzi Active Member

It makes all the difference, wifi is playable ofc but you are playing at a disadvantage compared to wired users.

7. FuriaAlba

Yeah, I might just drag my cable to see how it goes, been a couple a years since I used cable.

8. Oitza

Oitza Active Member

Use the damn cable, end of story!!!
    You drivin me nuts!!! o_O
    [​IMG]

Captainpack and Vrangsinn like this.
  9. FuriaAlba

It's not that easy, not that it's hard either, I have to drill a hole thru 2 walls to get the cable to my PC and move some furniture in the process, hence the reason for my question in the first place. I might just do it in a free saturday when I have time. Things we do for less lag >.>

Vrangsinn and Oitza like this.
  10. Oitza

Oitza Active Member

Yea i had to do that too 3 days ago tru 3 damn walls.... i made some mess but totally worth it!!!

11. Blitzcronk

Blitzcronk Well-Known Member

Wireless is susceptible to interference and can slow down when on congested channels - certain physical elements such as walls and other construction materials can reduce the coverage area of the network. The 802.11 standard of your NIC will also determine how fast you are able to receive data over the network, if your NIC can only support say 72mbp/s then your router will throttle the connection to stay in compatible ranges with that network device.

Ethernet (imo) is what I would personally stick with if it's a feasible option. You will notice better speeds because there is less interference due to how the different technologies (Ethernet vs WiFi) work during transmission, encoding, encapsulating/decapsulating, etc... Personally I always stick to Ethernet when I can as I prefer it. You can take a standard 'Ethernet Cable' (Cat5) and get speeds up to 100Mbps as long as you stay within the recommended distance.

Basically in short, if you can use Ethernet (if it isn't any trouble and you don't have long Ethernet cables trailing around the house) you will notice better speeds but they may not be blisteringly faster. Older Wireless technologies used the older 802.11g standard but with most devices now running on 802.11n that really isn't a concern.

Ethernet all the way. If you need any more information or you need me to break it down I will happily, I really enjoy all aspects of networking.

12. FuriaAlba

My PC has no problem with 9 dragons, I was talking about planetside2 which is a MMOFPS game and it dosen't have problems with that either, 2GB video card with sddr5 is great with games and the server is in the EU.

I will have some mess to do with the cable but I will do it sooner or later I guess, the game is pretty epic so to smoothen it up a bit should be worth it.

13. ShaKira2008

ShaKira2008 Member

this is my connection : (Cable)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  14. Galdirian

Galdirian Member

Why? He stole it?

ShaKira2008 and Oitza like this.
  15. Oitza

Oitza Active Member

ROFL!!!

ShaKira2008 likes this.
  16. ShaKira2008

ShaKira2008 Member

I
    didn't stole it. It's personal creation.

Kalzion is just Rude ,Impolite and attention seeking.

Best to ignore such individuals, until they learn Basic Manners.

PS : try stay on Topic Please (Internet connection)

Oitza likes this.
  17. Oitza

Oitza Active Member

Picasso ahahah

18. ShaKira2008

ShaKira2008 Member

This was already mentioned in Signature Topic :

Due request, il post down the original Photo (no alteration/changes were made).

My Personal Version (Up) have a lot of changes. ( and i like it more then Original :) )

___________________________[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So as you may notice , a huge change has been made On my personal version (blue one) ( effects/re-drawning the wings/ Add a new element ( the purple robot -personal drawing ), re-calibrate the colors and such.

You are Just another ignorant hater, and not only towards me ,but 99% of your replies prove it so.

Galdirian likes this.
  19. ShaKira2008

ShaKira2008 Member

I
    f you dont care ,stop fill the forum with your hateful remarks and inability to understand.

This will only make you look less educated.

Galdirian likes this.
  20. Galdirian

Galdirian Member

Chill. You got your point out and yes, you are right. Just ignore him man. :D
    Btw, nice art!

ShaKira2008 likes this.