Razer Core/General eGPU Setup Opinions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rhapsody, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Well-Known Member

I'm still gaming (League, Overwatch, BnS, TERA, very low settings all around) on my 2013 macbook pro i got for graduation way back when, and I actually love it a lot and would want to keep it for ease of use—between my iphone/ipad, using and syncing things is very convenient. I'm not sure if I want to invest in building my own system, since I'm a fan of portability and all-in-one systems (Lenovo) or the compactness of the Corsair ONE/MSI Trident 3 really appeal to me.

To save shelling out a premium, I've been eyeing the Razer Core (yes, I know the akitio node/alienware whatever exist too ok), which is essentially plug-and-play with Macbooks in bootcamp (accounting for the performance drop via eGPU compounded with the 40gbps->20gbps drop from thunderbolt 3 to 2), and if I go down this route, I have a friend who will cut me a deal on a GTX 1070 she used to use for etherum/litecoin mining. So basically I could emulate a gaming desktop (2.7 GHz i7, GTX 1070, 1080p monitor, 60 Hz is enough for me) for around $600 with the portability that I want, while also not having to worry about two setups??

tl;dr has anyone had experience working with external gpu options for gaming tell me i'm not about to waste my money ok thanks bye notice how i didn't mention rumble fighter at all oops

2. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Well-Known Member