FT9? Nope, FT12!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crescendo, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Crescendo

Crescendo Active Member

It's time to mix it up, Rumble Fighter! After much debating, playtesting, spectating, cooking and getting cooked, I give you a new format to try for yourself; an all-out first-to-twelve 1v1 to test every bit of your skills on a variety of maps. The rules are simple but quite different from the usual.

Edge 1v1 Rules:

FT12

Maps:
    Green Cliffs, Colosseum, Mechanic's Institute, Under Construction, Third Rock, Arizona, Rooftop, Forgotten Graveyard, Ring of Death, Moonlight Valley, Glacier Cove, Risky Escape, Dos Palmas, Inferno, Incinerator

Exocores are allowed under the following ruleset:
    -No rare exocores or exocores that evoke transformations, grant infinites in combination with stun launchers, slows, blinds, confuses, or shuts down abilities/neutral commands.

No freeze or dizzy bombs.

3000/300/30- including crit.

Starting map is 3x Green Cliffs.

If no one dies, score determines the round.

For each round you lose, you can pick a map change in the lobby.

Each player is allowed 1 of the following:
    Double Panic
    Devil Wings/Blue Halo
    Back Guard

Give it a try. Everyone I've seen try it themselves absolutely loved it. I'm certain you will too.

FAQ From Testing/Explaining my Reasoning

Q) Why these maps? And why default to Green Cliffs?
    A) I wanted anyone from any of RF's very map-segregated groups to be able to compete and have the opportunity to apply their specific skill set to a 1v1 scenario. Of course a hardcore 1v1er is likely going to win on Blacktop Melee, but can they keep up on Mechanic's Institute or Moonlight Valley? There's special trick spots and strategies to certain maps and this selection of maps lends itself to every corner of the community/brings map knowledge to the 1v1 equation. So, that being said, Green Cliffs is the best of both worlds having both large planes to fight head-up and ledges/edges for quick finishes and drop juggles.

Q) Are regular bombs allowed? Machine guns?
    A) Heck yea. Bring out all those wonky lab combos.

Q) Why stats? Why so low if they're going to be allowed at all?
    A) I wanted every bit of Rumble Fighter's DNA to be present in some way. With Rumble Fighter being a RPG/3D-Fighter/Platformer, the best way to add the RPG element in a fair and balanced way was to allow stats in some capacity alongside Exocores and a defensive item selection.

Q) Why Double Panic/Devil Wings/Back Guard? I hate fighting against "x/y/z"! And why Devil Wings specifically?
    A) These are your aforementioned defensive options to counter Exocores that may be otherwise unfair on certain maps or in certain situations. Devil Wings/Blue Halo were chosen after Angel Wings were found to be too strong compared to the other options in testing. Devil Wings can still potentially revive you twice, but at the cost of hp and there's no guarantee you'll revive in the first place. The addition of the trinity (Devil Wings/Blue Halo, 2nd Panic, Back Guard) probably sounds broken, but it's very fair under these restrictions and feels more like an extension of your Rebirth (think Rebirth lv 2) than a cheap way to be saved.

Q) Is there a limit to zoning/baiting?
    A) Nope. Try it, get tossed by a dash exo.

Q) Why does losing rounds grant map picks?
    A) 2 mains reasons:
    1) Differing map experience alone can lock someone out of winning even if they're a better player overall. This maintains balance and mitigates cheesy strategies/Exocore abuse from becoming the metagame.
    2) The potential comeback factor makes the fight super hype. It helps the match stay fresh and allows each corner of the community a chance to draw upon their experience on their favorite map.

Q) Ring of Death????? That's not even an edge map...
    A) Again, the goal was to give everyone the opportunity to play into their strengths, or in this case, take them away from the opponent. Blacktop Melee is banned (redundant to include the ft9 map in the ft12), so in order to get a map with no edges to avoid your opponent's strengths and play into your own as a 1v1 main (reads and conditioning specifically) Ring of Death was a must.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    oTedd, RubyShadows and HYTNANO like this.
  2. Nanners

Nanners New Member

I love this. sounds good to me, I'll definitely try it.

oTedd, RubyShadows and Crescendo like this.
  3. RubyShadows

RubyShadows New Member

Hm, I'll need to see some recorded FT12s to see how I feel about it

4. Crescendo

Crescendo Active Member

Just try it for yourself. It's so fun.

5. rfSexy

rfSexy Art Potato & Clean Up Crew

idk why i thought Demo would be included

6. Crescendo

Crescendo Active Member

I would have included demo (and ancient ruins from true battle) if they weren't entirely separate game modes.

7. TheFuzionBranz

TheFuzionBranz Wiki Creator & Manager, Scroll Masters Finalist

Tbh I really like ft9. Its really close to being best of 3 sets, but overtime if its very close

8. Crescendo

Crescendo Active Member

Yea that's understandable, this is just an alternative option. It gets really intense in these too though and it tests more of your gamesense than btop.