Fix the Exp curve

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Justice, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Justice

Justice Member

I don't know how much power you guys have over editing the game but you guys really need to do this.

The current exp formula RF is using is ridiculous. It uses exponential growth. Exponential functions start off slowly but after a certain point it gets unimaginably high. Levelling from 1-50 seems pretty decent but after that it becomes nearly impossible to level the higher you get.

When RF first came out the level cap was not that high so this was never experienced back then. I don't think that this was the intended design but rather a huge oversight by the original CCR developers. But given how CCR is lazy and how the current version of RF is nearly hardcoded which makes it hard to alter the core system, so I doubt the exp function can be altered. The core game was never designed to have the current level cap we have now. What can be done to solve this is by editing the exp tables generated by the function manually for each level to an acceptable amount. (I know this because I was a private server dev).

To me this is one of the most important issue that needs to be fixed along with the loot system.

Update: Quoting some important points from this thread so they can get visibility.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    leiniar08 and Seriaph like this.
  2. NINJAFoxHound

NINJAFoxHound Well-Known Member

Welcome to korean MMOs.
    In my opinion, regardless of the fact the xp curve can be altered or not, they will not fix the exp curve, which has been set so it would take a certain amount of time for players to get to a certain level.
    In this player base, the least patient ones and who can afford cash shop items will spend. That's how they would make RF profitable. This is not a "make the game more enjoyable", but "make money out of it". No matter how "nice" RedFox is towards its payer (customer) base, it remains a company. Company needs profits to keep going.

3. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

I believe the exp is fine till you reach level 55. At 55+ there should be something you can do to help level up besides 19 months of grinding for 1 level

4. itsthem

itsthem Active Member

Yeah, the XP curve on 9Dragons is **'d also.

5. Seriaph

Seriaph Member

EXP curve is relative to how easy it is to get the EXP as you progress. If we didn't have stupidly fast ways of gaining EXP (BD's, Returnee's weapons) then the limit wouldn't need to be set so high.

The developers need to ensure that the challenge/reward ratio isn't out of balance either. There just needs to be some active support from developers and game designers. I understand we can't put the pressure on RedFox to give us that, but it would be something to work towards.

Nanas likes this.
  6. Justice

Justice Member

Heh. 55 is manageable without going insane.

The EXP limit was predetermined long before they even added the EXP dungeons and even Returnee's weapons. It was set by the original developers of RF Online.

Something is definitely out of balance when it takes a year to gain a level.

7. Chiyo

Chiyo Member

i just imagine you killing flems for a year xD

I kinda like the exp as it is right now, the only annoying thing is the amount of exp you lose when you die.
    But that boost the NFD(100% exp back pill) from the cas shop and like NINJAFoxHound sayed its a compandy they need to make money.
    They already "try" to help players leveling faster and added a quest to get exp once per day ... ETS ...
    I dont really like it and i think it ruin normal exp partys but its a fixed amount of exp you get on any level from 51-65.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Active Member

they should fix the game so people dont have to bd from 45-51. but honestly the exp grind isn't that bad.

at level 61 i made 15% in a day. With ets you can level up in a month or 2, i know its a "long" time but still i got no 65 gear so why would i want to be 65 so soon.

the only problem with levels right now is lvl 56-60 is the same grind as 51-55 and that lvl 67/70 weapons 2 shot me in my 63 melee gear :p ( so I don't want to think about the people 15 levels behind me coming to CW feel)

9. CookieLoJ

CookieLoJ Member

Now days its easier to level up.. Daily quests untill lv66 that gives you 1.5%. suplyboxs. HMW.
    Also 10% from 57+....
    back in the time we had nothing of that.

BUT
    I would agree with the rates going to 4x or 5x. MAX

Demented likes this.
  10. Demented

4x exp would be cool. At 57+ like people have previously said it'd be nice. Just enough to keep you working and not give up at an impossible task

11. Justice

Justice Member

4x, 5x, 100x, 1000x are all linear modifiers. Changing the rates like that does nothing to solve the issue. Making the rates 1000x will only make it easier to level for the levels (1-50 maybe 55) within the linear range. The effect 1000x has as the levels go higher drop significantly. At level 69 you would barely be able to tell the difference between 1x and 1000x.

Nanas likes this.
  12. NINJAFoxHound

NINJAFoxHound Well-Known Member

They would probably increase rates over 3x (like 5x) for a limited time only, in the form of a "welcome event", but they have no interest in having people grind too fast. The faster you reach end game, the faster you get bored, and that's no good for business.

Risuelee, Bacon and Nanas like this.
  13. Neiou

Neiou Member

Well, seen somewhere else (not pointing fingers) the dynamic XP rates :) it worked out ...

14. Jimbo

Jimbo Active Member

but its no hard to level up past higher levels. get a full crit set and everything is pretty easy. (only need 70 crit for nf1 solo)

and nf1 solo i did at level 58 i was getting about 0.5-1% an hour only killing 1 or 2 captains per pop. so at 57 thats 1-2% and at 56 thats 2-4% an hour. do 1 hour aday for 10 days thats 30% at 56. how is that hard, a level a month is a good rate.

at 61. izens give 0.07% a pull, 1 pull takes 5 minutes. thats 0.84% an hour at 61. without rates or jades.
    1 pull at jetso for a 61 takes 5 minuts and gives 0.2% (0.35 when *5 rates), thats 2.5% an hour (hence why i got 15% a day once)

Rf is somewhat easy, you just need the gear and the time. And level 55+ is not meant to be easy. if anything i would like them to nerf how easy it is to get 65+ gear and make it easier for 60 gear/65... but redfox can't change that. also make -50 easier (but if they bring in the korean changes, vc gets a lot easier which would be nice).

15. Shinrae

Shinrae Member

Crafting system in-game also has this problem which also need to gets fixed btw.

16. Spruci1

Spruci1 New Member

If they set the xp rate to 4x what would they do for events? :p

17. Demented

Set it to 5x obviously, lol... not like it would make that big a difference tbh. All it would do is help keep the population active, and help the server population stay at a healthy number. When people fall too far behind, or start late a lot of times they'll simply wait for a fresh server instead of starting on an old one. If the rates are a tiny bit higher it'll help motivate and push people to start even if they're behind.

18. 9DragonsHermit

9DragonsHermit New Member

[Deleted] - please follow forum rules

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  19. Bacon

Bacon Active Member

^
    Sir if you may excuse me but do you really play RisingForce online? You were all over this part of the forums and your replies are sometimes random and kind of weird.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  20. Justice

Justice Member

5x or 500x has very little difference past 55. 3x vs 5x is a big difference from 1-50. Most people quit before they even reach 55 and wait for a new server. So even if they increase the rate a tiny bit or by a lot, it literally makes no difference at higher levels.