Dark Souls

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Blitzcronk, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Blitzcronk

Blitzcronk Well-Known Member

Anyone a fan?

I've just finished killing Quelaag (29 attempts) later and I'm on my way to find the firekeeper murderer! :O

2. Naruto1989

Naruto1989 Member

I love that game! I maxed my character lvl out when I used to play (lvl 700 and something if I recall correctly), collected and upgraded all weapons and armour as well as got all the skills and unlocked all the trophies (PS3). Took a long time & a fair bit of pvp in the forest before the giant wolf boss as the exp from pve is pretty crap at higher levels.
    When you finish the game you can start new game + and do it all over again but it gets harder every time you finish.

3. Blitzcronk

Yeah the game is beautiful. I'm on my very first run through as a Warrior. Finally made it into Andor Londo, on to fight Lautrec at some point. I'll be going for all achievements as the game is amazingly addictive.

4. wowzors77

wowzors77 Member

one of my all time favorite games. i also loved demon souls and dark souls 2 and bloodborne! oh and dont forget to save those boss souls for making better weapons later on.

5. Blitzcronk

Damn. I think I used The golem and Quaalag's soul for extra souls as I needed them for absolution :(

I'm almost ready to try tackle O&S and I'm not looking forward to it. I finished fighting Lautrec and he was a nightmare, I must have used like 4 humanity during the fight.

6. Acidhedz

Acidhedz Active Member

Nope. What's it about?

The only game coming out I want to play is Total War: Warhammer.
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

7. wowzors77

wowzors77 Member

just because this post is in off topic doesnt mean u should come in here to argue. unless ur gonna (argue"debate") about the topic at hand which is "dark souls" then i see nothing wrong about it lol.

8. Acidhedz

Acidhedz Active Member

I replied on topic, asking about the game, and introduced a potential new topic to discuss in case the steam had left the original. It's not my fault kazakstan has a man-crush on me and wont leave me alone. I keep telling him I'm not into that, but he just wont take the hint.

9. Blitzcronk

It's a RPG which is renown for being a real *****. Everything kills you, nothing is friendly. I'm still playing it but from what I gather, there were a number of gods that fought some dragons and with the dragons came this plague that turns people into hollow. You play as someone that is undead and is trying to fight off the curse of turning Hollow.

I'd say it's a fantastic game if you love lore, you're extremely patient because you will die a lot and you enjoy exploration. The AI for the enemies are incredible, they won't just mindlessly swing at you because they block, dodge, parry/counter, heal and destroy you. The bosses, omg. These are what you call real boss fights!

10. Acidhedz

Acidhedz Active Member

Resorting to trawling through my old videos for something to attack me with, while you sit nice and cozy behind the safety of your anonymity again I see. Nothing cowardly about that at all...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Acidhedz

Acidhedz Active Member

Sounds like they ripped off the story from Bleach and combined it with that movie with Christian Bale.

Depends on the lore. I collect pen and paper RPG books, so chances are I've already heard it in one form or another.
    I don't play games to trick myself into thinking a real fight is taking place, or that there is any actual challenge. I play games to kill time and have fun, and that just doesn't sound like fun. It sounds like it's made to piss off casual players, and let fanboys ego stroke over being good at hitting buttons.

12. wowzors77

wowzors77 Member

not even close to Bleach. Dark souls is a game that is very hard to explain to others. its a game u really have to play to understand it. they advertise the difficulty as hard but anyone can learn to play and beat this game, not just the "elites". it is very enjoyable beating a boss once u have found a strategy that works for u and believe me there are many strategies. it also has a unique co-op system allowing u to summon others through symbols on the ground to help u through certain portions of the game up to and including most bosses. oh and Blitzcronk wait till u fight O&S its one of the most annoying fights, ur gonna wanna summon one or two people to help :p.

13. Acidhedz

Acidhedz Active Member

Amusingly there is actually a Bleach game called Dark Souls that came out in 2007.
    And sorry, but mindless undead called hollows? That is straight out of Bleach.
    Going by the plot summary, most of it looks like a mishmash of mythology. Mostly Greek, Irish and British.
    The rest just sounds like the typical emo, grimdark nonsense that has gotten so popular, where middle class people try to pretend they're deep and angsty by playing games and watching tv shows.

"There is real beauty in Dark Souls. It reveals that life is more suffering than pleasure, more failure than success, and that even the momentary relief of achievement is wiped away by new levels of difficulty"
    This line is a real gem coming from someone who makes a living playing games and writing reviews about them. It's funny, but I have only ever heard people say stuff like that, that wouldn't know real suffering, failure or difficulty if it walked up and kicked them between the legs.

As for beating the bosses, I wouldn't care. I have never felt any sense of accomplishment playing a game. I get annoyed with them, even pissed off on occasion when they do something stupid. The closest I've ever come, is a sense of relief that an irritating part was over.

14. Blitzcronk

You're sort of just taking the name 'Dark Souls' as face value without knowing what the game is about so I'll reiterate what I said. The game has a detailed and incredibly in-depth lore so unless you play the game, you won't get the major theme. In the beginning the world begins with everlasting dragons, at some point in the progression of the world the world changes with the onset of fire. The fire brings life - scattered in the flames are a type of souls. Lord souls carry great power to the vessel, there are also dark souls. The first person who obtains a vessel is "Nito the bringer of Death and Disease", "The witch of Izalith and the daughters of chaos" get the second lord soul. The most powerful lord soul is given to "Gwyn - the lord of sun" who controls a vast army.

The pygmy is like the Neanderthal to humans and all humans are the descendants of the pygmy. The pygmy isn't given lord souls because the lord soul is given to those to rule the age of fire, instead the pygmy is given dark souls, souls to rule the dark times - the age when the fire ends. With the souls, many different type of inhabitants and beings come into existence. There is a great battle in which Nito, Gwyn, Witch Izalith and with help to the traitor Seath the Scaleless put an end to the 'ever lasting dragons'.

The game has such depth, every meaningless enemy you slay has a reason to be in the game, every character has their own unique and rich back story and everything has a purpose. This is a beautifully written story woven inside a ridiculously challenging RPG and trust me, there will be times when you absolutely go ecstatic after killing a boss you spent hours trying to fight.

This isn't straight out of bleach. Hollows in Bleach are born from human souls and do not cross over to the Soul Society after their death and linger in the human world for way too long thus corrupting their spirits with special powers to devour the souls of both living and dead humans.

The hollow in Dark Souls is a state in which those who are undead are cursed to eventually become hollow. The difference is the hollow in bleach are already dead, the hollows in dark souls are cursed undead. Undead in Dark Souls means the person has died but reanimates as undead. Undeads are sent to the undead asylum to await the end of the world in imprisonment, undead is a curse.

The undead curse came when "Gwyn, Lord of Sun" adamantly refused to release the 'Age of fire' to make way for the 'Age of Dark' but how it actually happened is down to speculation and meticulous analysis of the lore. Remember the Age of Dark began when the first flame extinguished which ended the Age of Fire. The Age of Dark which is your job as the player to usher in the new age.

This is completely different from what Bleach is and has nothing to do with either concepts. They're polar opposites. The series is called "Souls" and "Dark Souls" is the name of the game because it fits the story perfectly. A lot of the game is based around Mythology and it works and if you took a few minutes and explored the vast world, examined the beautiful archaeology and appreciated the characters and the enemies in their entirety you would understand how good it really is.

It's almost like you would criticize a game by its title and a story line you have completely misinterpreted :) Each to his own, the game series clearly isn't and wasn't meant for you. That's absolutely fine and the Dark Souls community isn't going to suffer without your presence. Did I mention the Dark Souls community is absolutely brilliant?

The game has had patches to make it progressively easier as the initial patches before the English release, oh boy... that was a hard time. The game hasn't really got a specific type of player, you just have to be patient, be willing to learn and be willing to die and accept you died as a result of your poor mechanics and not the games fault.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  15. Acidhedz

Acidhedz Active Member

I looked at the plot synopsis on wiki, that gives me more than enough to go on.

Look, I'm a writer, and I'm into psychology. I know what they are doing, what they are drawing on to do it, and why they are doing it. And for the most part I don't care, but when people go around praising bad writing as good because they don't know any better, that I wont tolerate.

What you are describing isn't depth, in the trade it's called fluff. Depth means there are deeper levels to what is going on. Having a ton of trivia on side characters isn't deep, it's dilution.
    Soap operas have tons of side characters, with tons of backstory. No one ever thinks they are "deep".

There is also nothing deep about leaving most of your story to speculation. That's a trick they use to hook people in, along with using characters that are very emotive but have none of the 3 dimensions of character: personality, motivation and self-agency. Con artists do the same thing, it makes you identify with them more because you're filling in the blanks for them with what you want to be there.
    The guy who makes the FNAF games does the same thing. He puts in really cryptic stuff, then lets the fanbase theorize everything to death, rips off some of what they came up with with for the next game, puts plenty more cryptic nonsense in, rinse and repeat.

It feels deep to you because most of what you think is there, was put there either by you, or other fans. For those of us who just see what is there, it is extremely shallow and badly written.

"ridiculously challenging"
    That's the thing though. Games are entertainment. They are not actually challenging you to do anything. You either have fun playing it, or you don't, that's it. Calling it challenging is a defense against those who would say you're wasting your life playing a game. I don't care if you want to play it or not, just cut the pretentiousness.

As for the story, like I said, I recognize most of it as ripping off mythology..It's not very creative at all.

Obviously not, it was made for middle class teenagers.

I would rather spend 100 hours working on something of my own, and actually accomplish something. Than sit around dealing with what amounts to self-indulgent wankery by the game developers.

It's pretty funny. The story for my game, Jack to the FUTRE! actually works on at least 3 levels. I have all sorts of stuff layered into it. The combat is at times diabolical if you don't use your head. But it doesn't have AAA graphics, which is all anyone really cares about, so it gets ignored. Which just proves that what people really want are games that look pretty and trick you into thinking they're deep.

16. Blitzcronk

There are plenty of fans on the series, you're just not one of them. My opinion is subjective to your opinion, I won't dismiss your opinion so respect mine for enjoying this game.

sain likes this.
  17. Acidhedz

Acidhedz Active Member

There are plenty of fans of 50 Shades of Grey and Justin Beebee. That doesn't make it a good book, or him an artist.

And here we go with the magical opinion defense.
    This is the definition of respect: "a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements."
    Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean it's worthy of respect. You gave up that right when you started making declarative statements. I like strawberry ice cream, it's my favorite. That is an opinion.
    Strawberry is the best flavor of icecream. That is a declarative statement, and can be contested easily. On numbers alone Vanilla out sells every other flavor combined. Many people are allergic to strawberries and it could kill them to eat it.
    See how that works?

Nothing I said was an opinion. I gave an analysis of the game.

I didn't say you couldn't enjoy it, quite the contrary I said I don't care if you enjoy it or not. You could have simply said, I like the game and left it at that. Instead you wrote a bunch of statements about it. Ones which I disagree with, and told you why.

I'm not trying to piss you off. I'm not trying to take your enjoyment of anything away from you. This is a touchy topic for me because I am a writer, and I make games. And this one follows a trend that I believe with no doubt at all in my mind, is destroying creativity and imagination.
    Games like Dark Souls are made to create a specific psychological response, similar to tv shows like walking dead and game of thrones.
    I am not going to go into all the numerous issues I have with these things, I have been writing a book on it and other related topics and I'm not posting it here.

They are making these things to be addictive, to turn people into fanboys. That alone I consider to be downright abhorrent.

Even worse Fanboys are infesting the ranks of the people who release media. Fanboys do not create, they only regurgitate what they have consumed. We are living in an age of fanfic.

I am a creator living in an era when creativity is not valued, your ability to appeal to, or create, a tribal fanboy clan is.
    I am intelligent, no one values that. People don't want me to be deep and sophisticated, that makes them feel stupid. They want stuff that makes them feel deep and sophisticated without having to earn it.
    I am a story teller in a time when everything is a soap opera. An organic writer in a time when everyone wants contrivance and melodrama.
    An individualist in a time when everything is about conformity.
    As an artist I know the artist and art should always come first, the fans can enjoy it or not. The current trend is to appeal directly to the fans, which makes them feel important and entitled. It devalues the material they are supposedly fans of, and makes the whole thing about them instead.

18. balb1n0

balb1n0 Active Member

That is so true!

19. Acidhedz

Acidhedz Active Member

It's called an appeal to popularity fallacy.
    It's bad logic for two reasons.
    First, because something's popularity has no bearing on it's merits or lack thereof. With one caveat, popularity over a long period of time does tend to indicate quality. IE, plenty of people still love Bach's music today, even though he died over 260 years ago.
    Second, because it assumes that the people who like whatever 'IT' is, have either good taste, or know what they are talking about.

balb1n0 likes this.
  20. Blitzcronk

Ryan, you clearly don't have any interest in this thread can you please stop spamming it with completely irrelevant points. I'm asking you this nicely, please stop posting here. This is for dark souls enthusiasts, you're not one of those.

Spite likes this.