Catfish alert

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cytrix, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Cytrix

Cytrix Active Member

A catfish is someone who uses false information to cultivate a persona online that does not represent their true identity. This commonly involves using stolen or edited photos, usually taken from an unwitting third party.

Catfish will use this information to create a more appealing version of themselves, then engage in continued one-on-one interactions with another person (or people) who are unaware of the deception.

Falling prey to catfish

In the 2010 documentary, Nev Schulman learns that a woman with whom he has developed an online relationship over nine months is actually fake. Another married woman (who originally claimed to be her mother) has used pictures from a model's account to create the complicated, phoney relationship.

There have been several high-profile cases of catfishing reported in the media since then.

Singer Casey Donovan, in her 2014 memoir, wrote about a six-year relationship that turned out to be fake – in her case, the catfish even lied about her gender.

In 2011, NBA star Chris Andersen became embroiled in a catfishing scandal that ended in prison time for the catfish.

Now that being said, why am I posting this? After being sent few pictures and a social media profile of an ingame female person (by herself) a while back I have a strong reason to assume that she's catfishing. The pictures don't match at all nor the face nor the body type (in one photo she appears to be very "healthy" in the other one very thin.) This topic will probably be reported by the according person and her friends because they will tey to keep up the lies but I am posting this due to being concerned about the guys falling for her. Catfishing can cause major mental problems to the victims and this way I want to cause awareness in the hope they find out before it is too late. I won't mention any names but the respective people are in a 3-way relationship right now and the 2 dudes are most probably being deceived in all possible ways. I am trying hard to keep the forum regulations and I hope RF will support this case in favour of the 2 deceived male players.
    Thanks

2. Jazztech

Jazztech Well-Known Member

people thought i was a girl once. they gave me stuff for free. I din' ask for it tho

3. iwannadielel

iwannadielel Well-Known Member

nice

Jazztech likes this.
  4. Jazztech

Jazztech Well-Known Member

fancy meetin you here, partner

iwannadielel likes this.
  5. Cytrix

Cytrix Active Member

upping this, since the issue is still ongoing.