Are these guide still accurate? (Need some tips to improve)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HolKing, Jan 27, 2022.

1. HolKing

HolKing New Member

Hi there, I was wondering if these guides from 12 years old still apply today. I'm having trouble winning and want to improve. (Elementalist btw)

Exocores here: Screenshot 2022-01-27 211910.png Screenshot 2022-01-27 211934.png

Scrolls here:
    Screenshot 2022-01-27 212127.png Screenshot 2022-01-27 212146.png

Attached Files:

2. Crescendo

Crescendo Active Member

Well, meh.

Like, jumping is just bad overall. You completely surrender control of the fight for a gamble that could get you juggled.
    I'd focus more on knowing your basics of neutral first.

Here's a copy/paste from my server. I'm building a learning server for this precise reason.

Each player will play differently. However, there are set ways to press one's advantage. These "advantage points" are:

Angling
    Drifting
    Platforming
    Timing
    Pressuring
    Reacting
    Spacing
    Predicting
    Defending

Knowing which of these categories your opponent is using to their advantage will help you to learn your opponent much faster and make it easier to create a counter strategy, regardless of scrolls.

Establish your jab immediately or your opponent will tee off on you early. They'll respect your buttons if your jab punishes them for reaching too much. Punches beyond jabs are only for punishes, since they're not true combos and won't link unless your opponent mashes. Punches do become true combos if the second+ punch lands, or if the opponent is hit from the back.

Jumping is only for crossups, oki or mixups and leaves you at a huge disadvantage. An established jab crushes it.

Countering is for stealing turns and bridges defense and offense. Should never be done (head on) based on one's own timing, but as a reaction. Can sometimes be used at an angle to make openings.

Kicks are for greater range or punishes/reads. If you predict a grab, kick immediately. Jabbing could recover too quickly and if you wiff you could be putting yourself in range to be grabbed, but a kick has slower startup and recovery, making it immune for the entire duration of the grab's active hitbox.

Grabs are best used for mixup after a jab, since every jab becomes a 50/50 mixup. Will they continue punching?
    If you're familiar with the opponents scroll, grabs also punish unsafe combo-enders as well. You can do so frame-perfectly with a bit of execution for guaranteed punishes.

The best time to panic is when your opponents hp is flashing during their nanmu, or to panic-break for a finishing move. Aside from the obvious scenarios, whenever you do decide to panic, do so early on in your opponent's combo, as early in the current attack's active hitbox as possible. That way it can't be blocked since it's done during an attack and not between.

The best time to nanmu is the point in which your combo will kill your opponent exactly, particularly from a hit-confirm. Anything less is sub par, as this is your "ultimate attack" and is optimal for closing the round. However, there are numerous other uses for nanmu such as escaping, baiting panics, or simply making a grab or counter wiff safe.

HolKing likes this.
  3. Yeezus

Yeezus Well-Known Member

rares rares rares and more rares

tamirtov likes this.
  4. Crescendo

Crescendo Active Member

Also, as a noobie, I'd strongly recommend saving your carats for Hitman, Shoot Boxing, or Zin Taekwondo, depending on how you like to play. These 3 scrolls are really the gold standard. They're all very strong in their own ways, but completely fair. They can pretty much hold their own against anything with experience.

Hitman is a powerful keep-out scroll with obnoxious hitboxes and a grab that kind of makes your opponent hate life.
    The slowest of the 3, but the tradeoff is op lockdown and mixup.

Shoot Boxing is a speedy pressure scroll and can really help you explore how to punish and defend.
    What it lacks in blockstun it makes up for with its pokes.

Zin Taekwondo's kicking is borderline degenerate. This scroll has great punishes. The punch combo is short, but super speedy and has good range.
    The first kick has a great hit-confirm into the launcher combo, since it has the best hitstun of the 3.

tamirtov and HolKing like this.
  5. HumoLoco

HumoLoco Clean Up Crew

HumoLoco in rf be like

nah Angling nah my keyboard broken
    Drifting ye dont work
    Platforming the fuck is it
    Timing na no waste time
    Pressuring yes pressuring em
    Reacting nah go smoke grass and slow reacting
    Spacing too being gey with em just slap their ass
    Predicting nah no brain
    Defending yes defend all day til someone grab my tiny balls.

and 9-0ed everyone

6. Malcolm

Malcolm Active Member

Good post

Crescendo likes this.
  7. Crescendo

Crescendo Active Member

This is just scratching the surface.
    My discord server will detail so much more. Everything from jabbing to lowjumps and recovery-breaks.

8. HolKing

HolKing New Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH. Here I thought jumping was useful as confusing my opponents lol. Time to practice my jabs and grabs.

Crescendo likes this.
  9. Crescendo

Crescendo Active Member

Jumping is only as good as their eye is untrained.
    If you're facing an opponent that knows to watch the shadows, you're getting juggled.
    That's not to say you should never jump, its just that there's less advantage to doing so.

HolKing likes this.
  10. Crescendo

Crescendo Active Member

also btw im a 1v1er and I'm only speaking on 1v1s.
    Teams and ffa both have completely different dynamics from 1v1

11. Tengu

Tengu Creator of Savate

@HolKing My new player advice guide

-Jumping is great, mix up your timing and 2nd jump directions / air attack directions
    -Punch1 -> Grab = easy cheesy because people block after getting hit by Punch1. Kick1 -> Grab is also a good trick bc players usually block if the enemy halts an already confirmed combo.
    -Punish openings with kicks only
    -Dont spam buttons. Ever. This is a pacing game. Never do a combo finisher if it's blocked.
    -Turn your attacks with each button press to correct your aim. Pacing is 50% of your accuracy.
    -Mix up the time delays between your button presses, people may unblock if they think youre stopping combo.
    -Mix up further by stopping your combo abruptly (while they are standing) just long enough to get back to neutral so you can throw a fresh Punch1/Kick1. Combo stalling like this can confuse people to open them up.
    -The game is rock paper scissors. If theyre punching/kicking, block or counter. If they are blocking/countering, grab them. If they are trying to grab you dont be in a "Neutral state" (standing facing them, blocking, countering, moving) by punching/kicking or jumping.
    -Most scrolls can only grab someone's frontal 90 degree cone. Angle your grab cone 45 degrees to throw them the directions you want. If youre having trouble grabbing don't be afraid to try out 360 grab scrolls.
    -Medal Shop rental scrolls and exocores are your best friend. Get them via daily quest chest medal tickets, you dont actually have to boss mode if you dont want to.
    -When you get knocked to the ground be sure to delay your wake up options. Stay on the ground long, roll late, hold that sweep kick as long as people. Theres also a 3rd option besides wake-up tackle and wake-up sweep; you can wake-up grab off the floor by performing your grab as if it were a kG, just gotta press the punch then guard slightly faster than a normal kG.
    -If someone makes you dizzy / reverses your directions with an Effect like a nade/exo you can now turn ANY direction but 180 directly backwards. Use this to your advantage to wakeup in new directions off the floor.
    -In your My Info screen, directly under the word "Equipment" theres an Avatar Button and a Build Up Button. Avatar = cosmetic looks. Build Up = the stats you are using. This includes items like Back Shields and Wings (f*** the haters, use your wings).
    -Your most important stat is SPD and JMP. SPD helps your Drifting (neutral walking around someones attack(s) to their sides/back). 30-35 SPD/JMP are recommended. STR/ARM is secondary.
    -Dont buy boxes except Christmas Boxes. Xmas Boxes have the BEST rates. Other boxes can be crafted via 5 Orichalcum Shards from a recipe in the Medal Shop. Any box that has "Black Friday" in it is a safe purchase with Marin Blue being the best because Marin Blue specifically can have it's contents combined via formula (3x 30day temporary versions) into a permanent while also having a high scroll/exo drop rate chance. 15 Shards for a permanent box is also a great choice as a starter account.

If all this doesnt make you feel like youre doing better just save 40,000carats and buy Shoot Boxing. A+ tier power, C- tier difficulty.

I hope this helped.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    tamirtov, HolKing and NeoStrayFox like this.
  12. tamirtov

tamirtov Clean Up Crew

It's like rock paper scissors with:
    counter
    grab
    hit

HumoLoco likes this.
  13. HumoLoco

HumoLoco Clean Up Crew

grab > counter
    counter > hit
    hit > grab

pog

tamirtov likes this.
  14. Gonsegon

Gonsegon Active Member

I've always done jumping to land on top of my opponent to have their character shoved forwards, and then either punch to hit their back or grab if I thought they were going to block.

15. Deltro

Deltro Clean Up Crew

another pro tip: if actually playing this game get an anti-ghosting keyboard (a 20$ mechanical keyboard does the trick), playing this game on a laptop is hell due to your 8 directional movement becoming like 5 directions due to your keyboard not registering a diagonal jump.

The greatest challenge you'll face is finding a room of 8 people with halfway decent connection, and that's after the second greatest which is not randomly disconnecting from the game in general. You can become the top 1v1er in teams/1v1 all you want, but a god with mcdonalds wifi will make your butthole pucker because you can't hit him in the first place, throwing away all strategy.

16. Tengu

Tengu Creator of Savate

Rebinding your keys from up-down-left-right to o-k-l-; lets diags work on all keyboards.

Deltro likes this.
  17. Deltro

Deltro Clean Up Crew

I do wish there was an option to rebind the items from 1 2 3 to something else, currently trying wasd for movement and the number pad for attacks/exocore moves and it hasn't been smooth ime