Is it possible to revive RF's population? [Poll]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drevius, Jan 4, 2022.

?

Can RF be revived population wise?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Maybe

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. Not really

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. No chance

25 vote(s)
    43.1%
  1. Drevius

Drevius Comic Book Creator & Clean Up Crew

What I'm asking is not for RF to be brought back to its glory days. That will always just be a memory for a lot of the long-time players. But what is possible is bringing in a new influx of players if we simply did our own advertising. I believe it's possible. We can make our own posters and banners and post them over websites or social platforms to at least get some people interested. The main issue is retention. RF is not newbie friendly at all (idc what you say Tengu, tho I do respect you). It is better than how a lot of us came up, still remembering only getting timed Renegade and other items rather than as of late all the free skill items and boxes. But today's new player has little chance to overcome the folks running around with meta exos and rainbow dragon scrolls. The only way they could learn the game is if there was a full enough population of similar skilled opponents - aka the Amateur channel. This game is damn near 15 years old and its probably impossible to do, but before the game closes for good it would be nice to see it try to thrive one last time.

HumoLoco, Prizmo, TheGoDWatts and 3 others like this.
  2. Comoros

Comoros Well-Known Member

not without advertising lol

Prizmo likes this.
  3. Malcolm

Malcolm Active Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  4. RingzJr

RingzJr Artist of Winter

So two homegrown plans need to be mastered to see out your vision:

1. The advertising plan
    - Twitter
    - YouTube
    - Other
    2. The retention plan
    - Beginner / Amateur Channel

The advertising plan is being built by a few of us. We're generating content, in the form of art, highlight clips, and twitch streams, which can all be used in daily twitter posts, or weekly YouTube videos. Personally, I'm working on designing tournaments to be commentated and streamed for Twitch and YouTube on a weekly basis.

The retention plan hasn't gotten much attention yet, but it's just as important in terms of nurturing the population, for the reasons you stated. I think we would need some kind of modern herding mechanism, so that new players would be together during their "incubation period", for example a discord server for new players to coordinate rooms in amateur channel rather than them depending on the open channel for play, which would be toxic and pointless to many of them. If we had a discord server for amateurs, we could also post "educational" content in there, like highlight clips, fashion, commentated tournament matches. Lastly, we could even design amateur tournaments, and commentate / stream those for YouTube as well.

It will be done. Once I get a handle on designing tournaments, commentating them, and streaming them for Twitch, Youtube, and Twitter, I'll probably create a discord for amateurs and advertise it wherever I advertise the game, like in the streams for example. Although if other amateur discords pop up, I would be happy to advertise those as well.

[​IMG]

Maomi, HumoLoco, NeoStrayFox and 2 others like this.
  5. Drevius

Shid, let me take some renders in game I can make the damn advertisement

Comoros and RingzJr like this.
  6. Crescendo

Crescendo Active Member

I, sir, have been actively working on learning (fully) this game's core mechanics and system for a full 2 years.
    I'm a long time player, but there's too many questions "pros" couldnt answer simply. In the near future, I'll have my discord server up and running. The ultimate learning tool for Rumble Fighter, starting from the usefulness of the jab all the way to how r-breaks and lowjumps work. It's coming.

HumoLoco, NeoStrayFox and RingzJr like this.
  7. Sasori

Sasori Active Member

Maybe.
    YouTube takes skill to master the algorithm.
    Twitter and Twitch isn't going to get people.
    Nimonix has to fix their game or people will leave.

HumoLoco likes this.
  8. TheGoDWatts

TheGoDWatts New Member

Sounds good

HumoLoco likes this.
  9. Comoros

Comoros Well-Known Member

Any revival plans that solely focus on RF are doomed to fail because we are dependent on gemfighter as well. We can't go further than what the supplier of our content/services is doing. Idk how the game is in Korea but that's just also something to consider.

10. Drevius

Personally, I feel like with the right amount of buzz/attention, RF could pull the eyes of another company willing to pick up the mantle after this term expires..but that also is dependent on whether Nimonix is willing to part ways with their cash cow which I doubt.

Which is sad because it's clear they either lack the ability or desire to make content for this game. Players have made more content for the game in the past few years than Nimonix has over the entire course of RF's existence.

11. Kichard10

Kichard10 Member

you have a great idea, but is someone ready to pay advertisement to see it happenning?

HumoLoco likes this.
  12. Tengu

Tengu Creator of Savate

Anyone remember that time RF got greenlit on Steam, the best possible advertiser we could get while also being free, and within 2 days our own toxic ass community review bombed RF's steam rating into the red which kept it from being promoted in steam's algorithms? Good times.

...What were we talking about again? Oh yeah, advertising. That ship sailed already; the passengers sunk it before it made it out of the bay.

REAL Advertisement strats YOU can actually do
    -Pay a big fighting game tournament competitor or youtuber to do a video on RF via patreon ex. MattMcMuscles. RFers uploading our own videos to our 100ish subscribers isnt gonna reach a larger audience but a preestablished content creator with 100k+ subs will. Most efficient route.
    -Go volunteer at Anime Conventions and get 2ish PCs/Laptops setup with RF going with semi setup burner accounts. A lot of fighting game players get introduced to indie fighting games via booths at anime cons.
    -Get everyone you know to flood steam's RF page with positive reviews to push it back into the green and back into the algorithm.
    -Report the FCK OUT OF EVERYONE if they do ANYTHING. Report me too. Make the community fear consequences and they'll shape up.
    -PLAY MORE THAN ONE STAGE. This NEEDS to happen if the game is to draw new players and retain them. I heard non-RFers in the FGC call RF "One Stage Fighter" back in 2013 and its still true. Moon isnt the only viable singles stage. Glac isnt the only viable teams stage. True Battle is a perfectly acceptable game mode especially for new players.
    -We need to actually use the discord.

@Drevius IDK what you thought my opinion was but I 100% agree RF is NOT new player friendly ;) the game has no learning tools / wiki the learn from / simple youtube tutorial explaining things that may be obvious ex. blocking after 1st punch.

HumoLoco and RingzJr like this.
  13. Drevius

Think I mistook some of your posts from before about the free items and events as the game being new player friendly but I'm glad were on the same page on that note

HumoLoco likes this.
  14. RingzJr

RingzJr Artist of Winter

I think this is a good idea. If the "big-time Youtuber advertisement" strategy works, then we could skip straight to the retainment phase, like making a discord for amateurs, to catch the people coming from the big-time Youtuber advertisements. (Is there a better way besides a discord group to help the beginners get settled in?)

Indeed educational content would also be a great help generally

HumoLoco likes this.
  15. Crescendo

Crescendo Active Member

I've got this.

A few people saw my early iteration of the ultimate learning server, but this final product is about to take years off the learning curve.

HumoLoco likes this.
  16. TheDL6Incident

TheDL6Incident Creator of Buki

huh? what are you talking about

Tengu and HumoLoco like this.
  17. iwannadielel

iwannadielel Well-Known Member

lol

HumoLoco likes this.
  18. Crescendo

Crescendo Active Member

A project I've been building for a long time.
    I'm covering everything from jabs to r-breaks.

HumoLoco likes this.
  19. HumoLoco

HumoLoco Clean Up Crew

No. we trash it.

100% fact.

cannot laugh at that day when we had hope to get more ppl but nope we just totally trash it.

Tengu likes this.
  20. TheDL6Incident

TheDL6Incident Creator of Buki

Was it really 2 days? From what I remember, alot of people were really excited to get the game on steam, but then they got pissed that it didn't even work on steam for like... weeks-months, so they said screw it and then started to review bomb

Crescendo likes this.