Do you disagree with this Youtube review?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BirdbrainX, Jul 21, 2021.

?

Do you disagree with this Youtube review?

Poll closed Aug 20, 2021.
  1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

66.7%
  1. BirdbrainX

BirdbrainX Well-Known Member

I have just came across a randomly highlighted video on the Youtubes, and I have to say, I do not fault the reviewer as a totally new comer to the game. It occurred to me that this could very well be how newcomers perceive the game, and it is saddening. :(

rashbrasil likes this.
  2. Manaphon

Manaphon Active Member

Yep, I linked this video on the discord when he released it last week. And I agree on some if not most points he makes. But he is also comparing 9D to the newer mmos standard that we have now. A lot of last nights features/changes were due to this video

3. KProphetK

KProphetK Well-Known Member

I agree with him, even when 9D was first open to the public, there where other MMO's that had more going on for it than 9D had. That's why 9D has had such a low population after Acclaim years. The Devs promised an updated engine and mechanics a few years ago and 9D has yet to see any of them, which puts 9D at a disadvantage of having new players stay after just a few days or weeks. I would have hated him to make it high enough to farm for something and fail like no tomorrow.

RF is trying but is it to late to get 9D up to todays standards or even do enough to keep new players.

Now the current event, I think should stay forever, that way, new players can at least have something to look forward to that may keep them longer. To me this event is a good starter pack for them to have and use. They old stater pack that is in game is out dated and worthless.

Anyways GL and HF!
    Later!!!

4. Sirme

Sirme Well-Known Member

the review is very biased and dog ****. Normally I watch the guy **** on/ praise games, I have played or not played,..

But his 9 dragons review was very stupid and nitpicky..

he actually did not even mention actual problems just his nitpicks.. Dude praised 9 dragons graphics as not bad in 2021... I expected as much from someone who played wow.. has no eyeballs.. 9 dragons graphics is horrible as **** 2021..

He likes to mention story in games.. and how linear things are.. he could have actually reviewed the game by talking about that..., but he chose to nitpick it..

5. Anonyma

Anonyma Member

The game has just gone through so many changes in and out of the game.
    The game used to have an introduction before going to a clan base map but they got rid of all that and added bamboo village. With the introduction of the bamboo village and coupled with the exp rates made players pretty much skip the clan base and half of the first map which is where you're supposed to learn everything about the game.

Because of all the changes to the game over the years too, 90% of the game and it's mechanics are redundant. Things like the karma and collection system and most of the resource list and dungeons have no use.

If you can figure out he mechanics, the funnest part of the game is the early game, you actually progress at a rate that feels good, moving through maps and mobs as you level up. Then you hit HG and suddenly the game comes to a hard wall where you can either not level anywhere or it takes 20x as long. The gear you were be breezing through the game with now isnt good enough to even kill rats when you move to KL and the exp and time to kill mobs drops dramatically. Then the only thing to do is hard farm gold to try get enough gear to do SRS red runs and then do that for the next 100+ hours.

It gets even worse in the end game where everything is a huge grind for terrible rates that are not worth trying anyway, with the content thats worth doing being done on spawn by a few top players. Now they added white dragon boxes and splendor branches to the IM, that made pretty much all of the content except QD redundant. Now we wait for the blue box revamp where theyll probably add QD items and no content will be worth farming because its cheaper and more time efficient to buy the items off players who spend thousands of dollars in the IM. People farm KL for symbols and seals to make op deco 1/2 and that's it. Then the devs have implemented a terrible design philosophy to that map to encourage people to farm on week days by punishing you for having drop rate and trying to farm on the weekend by capping the amount of items that drop and filling the drop list with filler items so the more drop rate you have, the less chance you have in getting the items you want. The items you want also have secret fixed drop rate that isnt affected by drop rate anyway so there is even less reason to have this system.

Anyway i could also go on about the low effort events that have really gone down hill hard over the last year or so and how the devs/pubs add change after change to screw their players for no reason when its supposed to be something fun and interesting to do to break up regular game play but i've ranted too long... I hope with the massive influx of cash they got from splendor branches, they decide to start putting out good events that feel fun and rewarding to participate in again. That's just my two cents on the state of the game.

BirdbrainX likes this.
  6. Sirme

Sirme Well-Known Member

the introduction quest part is accurate.. but that is mostly for hd and Wutang.. other clans quests are stiill largely intact..
    Hd is cut in half.. because players like to cry.. about it being so long..

Exp rate does nothing, people choose not to or to play what's left... I played it on 90% my characters... if you don't that's your choice.. not the Exp rates fault..

Yet if you played 9 dragons before.. you should know or should have known lvling past FC was waay harder.. when the game was released..
    farming for gear is a big part of most games model.. in a ftp game.. you either farm mall or dungeons.. to continue..
    And you expect in a pay2win gacha game.. the free gear or easy to acquire gears will get you though new content...
    Yeah..

Again, grind in 9 dragons has always taken time, especially in Korean mmos. Even WOW has grind too time..

Just because people lost their attention spans or have other Responsibilities does not make long grind a bad model..

And grind ain't really long.. If i am honest.. grind is easy... you just don't have what you need for grind.. this version has easiest grind ever..

And a lot of what you said here cannot even be proven.. its just your speculation..

Gluck finding mmos out there without grind.. (which still exist) even final fantasy has grind..

Maybe just maybe you are not the target audience..

The game has been in low effort modes for years now, since a Korean players are low maintenance..

About more efforts, keep dreaming.. more than 8 years of no effort, just adding new mobs and barely any story,,
    expecting that to change..
    People really need to know what they are playing... 9 dragons is a grind gacha game with no real story past Acclaim.. You make your own story...

A real review shows weaknesses and strengths.., and actually require you to try the game to an extent.. not meandering around.. then nitpicking..

You did more of a review than the guy.. except a lot of things you said are highly opinion based... (for obvious reasons)

and seems the games target audience is not primarily you.. and barely me..

Game has changed for the worse (cut content and a lot of farming) and then a lot of personal peeves.. that is what I got from all your post..
    **************************************************************************************
    All in all

you 4/10, for review..

the youtuber ... 0/10 for review... just for the laughs..

7. Anonyma

Anonyma Member

Yes, my opinion of the game is my opinion of the game? My reply also wasn't a review of the game and I never said I didn't enjoy it, I just gave my opinion on its current state and why someone like this guy might think it's trash.
    I actually do enjoy this game and play it a lot, I also precisely AM the target audience as someone who played the game a long time ago. Plus the people left playing this game or who don't quit after a couple weeks or months definitely know they're in it for the grind.

I also never talked about the difficulty of grinding and farming in other versions of the game, I just said there used to be a tutorial at the start before you moved to the clan base maps and did content there instead of only going there to teleport through rtd quests and get skills. Yes, it took very much a lot longer to level up in the other iterations and you'd need to do things like collections.

My point about gear wasn't that you can't do end game content with early game gear, it was that all the game up until KL has a smooth transition from one mob to the next and one map to the next.

Also my point about their design philosophy around trying to get people to play the game on weekdays wasn't saying I don't want to grind or that an mmo shouldn't have grinding elements. it was saying it is lazy game design, which it is. punishing people for wanting to farm at one time, to try and get them to play at another, instead of incentivizing farming at one time but allowing the player to farm when they want (plus all they'd need to do is drop the cap on the amount of items that drop since they already have fixed rates too). It is not speculation, it is confirmed. There IS a cap on dropped items, there IS a fixed drop rate for rare items that can't be increased by drop rate and it IS because they want to encourage people to play during the week. All of this has been confirmed by Redfox themselves. It's not my speculative opinion.

It seems you are not the target audience for this guys videos because, what you said is exactly why he made the video, to bash a random old mmo trying to be funny by pointing out strange and buggy things in the game. You want him to sink 10k and 1000 hours into a game he has never played and has no interest in, to do an actual inform review of it? you're watching the wrong video for the wrong reasons.

Anyway I give your review of my post 0/10 because it seems you scooted around the actual points I make to form random extrapolated arguments from things I barely said that were hardly the point of why I said them to begin with.

8. Honglemong

Honglemong Member

worst
    story cliffhanger
    pay to win
    farm to survive
    hard for the new player
    Game Mechanics is confusing
    low-near mid-graphic-animation
    poorly PVP system
    tons of krap still exist on f11
    after all, the only player from the past
    middle age
    fine pocket
    little free time
    keep the game alive
    here or there,us eu or korea, no different

9. nomadstrike

nomadstrike Active Member

watever they say i stil love this game but its way harder then some poeple say it is for the moment one big money milking machine if you not spend money in this game you get nowhere witch is realy sad i hope there wil be more rewarding grind options then they are now very big farm items like llgc eppi ore icecastle eppi are long therm farming items and verry verry hard to create this is olso verry sad again no reward for your hard work
    me opinion grinders need better rewards for there work

10. Sirme

Sirme Well-Known Member

yeah you call it just your opinion.. but sure sounds like a review to me..
    If you don't understand why?.. you posted in a a thread about review...

you said "
    The game has just gone through so many changes in and out of the game.
    The game used to have an introduction before going to a clan base map but they got rid of all that and added bamboo village. With the introduction of the bamboo village and coupled with the exp rates made players pretty much skip the clan base and half of the first map which is where you're supposed to learn everything about the game."

clearly complaining how the introduction of tutorial + exp rates makes you skip half of clan base and first map..
    Just fyi Bamboo village is tutorial..
    what they cut is intro to some map/clan quests not tutorial.. What you need to know about game is still there.. you just gotta
    bother with bamboo village tutorial.. and rtd quest.. or the quest left...

Game all the way to end game has a smooth transition... Game is pretty much same... all game... until endgame..
    It only becomes not smooth.. when your gear falls too far behind and / or people pk you..

And their design philosophy is not trying to get players to play during weekdays... like any other company they clearly want you to play all days if possible and most of all spend all that $$...

well no **** there is a cap in amount of drops... because RNG.. and they want you to SPEND?? cause FTP games are cash grabs?...

Clearly you do not know what a review is...
    A review mean I can tell you your review is **** or inadequate or ill intent..

If he want to bash a old buggy random mmo he should not call it a "review" trolling does not equal review.. and if he has 0 interest in why, why make a "review".. o because views and people "asked" him to do it, so he slimmed his way in for the $$... and then just lied his ass out and put a stamp on it..

Its funny how people excuse garbage behaviors like this saying o its meant to be funny, when its hurting other people livelihood..(Redfox, jungwoon) and disingenuous.. call it what it is "lets troll 9dragons"

it does affect me, cause I am one of those players still playing the game as he mentions and likes to mention.
    And I did watch video for right reasons.. to see a REVIEW.. like the title says.. not trolling.. maybe he should name his videos correctly.

Also clearly you don't know much about the guys videos.. he always tries to be funny period..

I have been watching his videos for a long time now.. by long time.. around the beginning of covid19.. he popped on my youtube from watching world of warcraft. Even before I was a fair weather watcher. So yes I am part of his audience, he just happened to half ass 9 dragons the most out of all the reviews he did.

Apparently typing specific words have different meaning now.. lmao.. I guess English language is difficult..

Ty for 0/10 Review, fact stays that everyone can talk out of their ass.. I should know.. I do it a lot.

The way I see it, what you typed is 20% review(with some valid points), your frustrated opinions, which are highly misguided and spreading false narrative about the difficulty of things in game.. and your wishes (which you are entitled to have)

11. BirdbrainX

I guess this makes for a great follow up video by the same content creator. Personally it does seem related to the thread topic, and whether this game has a problem with new player retention or old player retention for that matter. I have had to cut back on my online active hours about two to three weeks ago due to a bad case of trapped nerves that has impacted my ability to use the keyboard or mouse for any period of time more than 5-10mins before my arm gets sharp pains and subsequently numb. Due to this, I have taken some time out to consider my future in this game as my physician has informed me that my recovery may be a long one due ot my advanced age and if my MRI results confirm their suspicions and that I might require surgery. Anyways, let me know if you disagree with this secondary video.

12. Manaphon

Manaphon Active Member

I do agree somewhat that mmos in general are harder to get into than fps. Cause you have to build your character through grindy gameplay. Now there are differences on how grindy a game can be. 9D has become a power creep, lets be honest that is the way forward since the game is so old. All content is focused on moving forward forward forward, that is how it needs to be to be kept alive. So newer players will have little to do since no players really grind lower content. This leeds to players thinking the game is dead.

I will write more when I get home, just my thoughts so far from reading his desc.

Revered and BirdbrainX like this.
  13. BirdbrainX

Hi there. I took the time to watch the response video you made, and in all honesty I can't categorise your video as a debunking of Josh's initial video about 9D. He did made many valid points from a totally new player perspective with little guide into how to actually play a new game. Now, having said that, several of your rebuttal would have been useful were you there to guide a new player thru the initial experience of joining 9D for the first time, but Josh's review video comes from a new player's perspective and looking at the game in that light. His criticisms of the game in mid 2021 are pretty valid in the sense that 9D hadn't age well in after all these years, and while I do agree with you that the criticisms in his review can be mitigated somewhat had he been guided thru it by a more experienced player or with a somewhat detailed guide, it cannot be ignored that a typical new player usually doesn't get that, and their initial experience to the game, much like Josh's is what they will take away from it after the initial 120mins of attempting to dive into the game.

While I would have been happy to go thru your rebuttals to his review video point by point, I simply am unable to since I am still recovering from surgery and still have many months of therapy left to go before I recover full use of my right arm (simply impossible to continue playing 9D with just one arm and one that isn't my dominant arm to boot). Anyways, hope you continue to enjoy the game as I had before my surgery.

* Shoutout to my Exodus/Exodia leaguemates. I miss you all terribly. For now, I do not have a timetable for when I am able to login to the game again. Someone of my age simply do not recover fast from the surgery I had, and all I can do for now is read the forums from time to time. Hope you all are doing well. @Ano, send my love to the gang if you read this. With love, Hana. :)

14. Anonyma

Anonyma Member

I'm glad that your surgery went well, we were worried! I'll send your love to everyone, we miss you! hopefully you recover enough so that we can see you again soon, take care though, look after yourself.

15. Hakoda

Hakoda Member

maybe remake 9D on unreal engine?