New Fighting Mechanics Aspects (why we need them)

Discussion in 'Scroll' started by RumbleNomad, Mar 11, 2016.

?

Do we need better fighting mechanics?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

26.7%
  3. It would take forever...

40.0%
  1. RumbleNomad

RumbleNomad Well-Known Member

Grab Countering: I have had many a time that, I literally see a grab coming but due to being at a disadvantageous position to the point it would suite me to just being grabbed. I would like to be able to be rewarded for seeing this grab coming and not have the only options of hitting,turning, or glitching. Which is why I would like for counters to work on grabs as well.

Now would this prevent the dreaded one punch grab, depending on the hit stun of the scroll it would only give you a better chance to defend against the tactic. Now as for back grabs, it would more than likely require its own animation, but it can still utilize the same grab counter mechanic I see someone trying to grab my back counter! However if they don't have one they have just punked you out and you will proceed to reap what you sowed.

Deflecting: Another item I feel that has never been thought of enough. If I can block huge estimated to be about 12in in length then I should be able to deflect them right back at you. Now how this would be implemented? Using the same counter buttons is all. Now you may be thinking but what about multiple projectiles i.e SOTC, after the first initial one tough break kid this isn't a solve all your problems kind of thing. Beams? Sure as long as its just a singular hit. Karak hands? as long as its singular you should be able to block it. AoE? No sir you aren't countering that.

This is all I have thought up for now will add more if you like.

2. ProfessorZtar

ProfessorZtar Community Advisor (Rumble Fighter)

I agree with grab countering, but instead of being the counter, how about it be like with Street Fighter, where if you grab at the same time they do, it plays a nice little effect, the grab is canceled, and the neutral is restored? :3

As for deflecting projectiles, I'm gonna have to say no. At least, not as a default ability. Perhaps as an unlockable ability for level 35+, much like the Nanmu, since such an ability would need a person's body to be incredibly powerful. (Notice I said "Unlockable" and not "Purchasable". *cough cough Saver sucks for being a CC item instead of being unlockable through some task cough* )
    On a mechanical viewpoint, however, this would be incredibly difficult for Nimonix. I mean, they can barely handling keeping up with updates on their two non-default classes, or keeping a simple action like inspecting your own loadout to change your scrolls/exocores from causing your client to crash randomly, or fixing map issues such as clipping through fences if you apply enough force to them (I'm looking at you, Yaki Cannon Custom) or jumping through the solid rock on Moon over on the right side of the map under the fence next to that cactus near the ledge, etc. If we start seeing actual improvements to the base game as it is currently, then maybe a Deflect ability won't be too far off. Right alongside the trade system, ha hah.

3. Windstorm

Windstorm Glacial Master

Just for the thought, Air Combos; followups after Jump punch / jump kick
    ^PKK could be a regular jump punch followed by a backflip kick, ending with an axe kick that spikes the opponent down as a juggle launcher
    ^KKPP could be a airborne twin kick to palm strike, ending with a grab crash, etc.
    The downside is limited # of combos on a desired scroll due to this ability.

Uhm..We could have class latent abilities, too. Yes, it can be purchasable similar to the Rebirth item in shop, but I'd recommend putting a Lv range on it . We already have some class specific exo-cores anyway. After owning the item, these effects will happen when below 30% HP
    Class - Effect - Stat Bonus
    Striker - Flaming Hands (+5 STR, +2 SPD)
    Soul Fighter - White Attack frames (like Another Serpent's nanmu) (+100 CRI, +5 SPD)
    Elementalist - /snow every 7 seconds [doesn't make your character macro, performed automatically] (+150 SP, +5 JMP)
    Alchemist - Green Ring [refer to 20 Stat boost on avalon gems) (+20% Exo-core skill cast & recovery speed, +5 ARM)
    Shaman - Black footstep trails -(+20 CRI, +3 STR, ARM, SPD, & JMP)
    Android - None - (75% increase in exo-core charge gauge speed, 50% Exo-core time extension)

It doesn't improve fighting, but if we ever get our lag issues out of the way, let's have a match time setting option. No unlimited time settings, though ; if someone so happens to freeze up the room, it'll affect every person, meaning they'll have to relog.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  4. RumbleNomad

What about the wall bounce! You can't have a good 3D fighting game without wall bounce combos. As much as I like the latent ability I feel that Avalon kind of covers this in a way. The ability to set a timed matched would be amazing for 1v1 matches.

5. Windstorm

Windstorm Glacial Master

Wall bounce combos would be doing too much. We already have drop juggles, team juggles, and unbelievable reset combos

LockBanFlag likes this.
  6. RumbleNomad

Well drop combos are completely dependent upon Moon,and reset combos aren't widely available.Team combos how ever would be completely one-sided victories.

Windstorm likes this.
  7. BloodNinja

BloodNinja Well-Known Member

Remember the tutorial stage the gray one or whatever what if we could like wall run and fight mid air and stuff

LockBanFlag likes this.
  8. Mockery

Mockery Well-Known Member

i would like to be able to deflect attacks
    sending an ice arrow back at some one or slapping an energy ball out of the way could really make this a fun experience
    but the value of those projectile attacks would drop drastically

if i can send homo snake back to the dingus that sent it though
    im all for

Windstorm likes this.
  9. Shana

Shana Creator of Heartseeker, SF, IAS, BD & CC

The grab-tech is a must. Deflecting projectiles is also an interesting idea.

10. 12characters

12characters Well-Known Member

u guys are asking for too much
    this type of stuff would only be implemented via skill item

11. Shana

I can imagine this as a class-exclusive. So we have one class that can break grabs, and another class that can deflect projectiles. They would lose their ability to ukemi if they switch from saver, so it's definitely an interesting trade-off

breaking grabs should only work on the front, and unbreakable from the back, like soul calibur. And the timing should be extremely strict (cannot be mashed, and must be frame perfect; probably a 1 frame window) so it's not easily spammable. And the person who breaks the grab will still take damage, but a small fraction of the grab damage.

As for deflecting projectiles. I think bouncing back the projectile is a bit unfair, so I think it should be limited to absorbing the hit. And there should be a cooldown so projectile based exocores can still be used against them for a short period of time. And the timing to absorb the projectile is much like a just-guard in Soul calibur V, where you have a 6 frame window to activate it (tap and release guard).

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  12. Shana

Coding these mechanics are probably going to be extremely difficult, so the chances of this happening is incredibly small.

But the ideas are totally legit

Shina likes this.
  13. Shina

Shina Creator of Shattering Hand

Agreeing with this

14. ProfessorQ

ProfessorQ Member

I don't know, i'm not much a fan of being able to counter grabs. Seem unbalance to me. I like the idea of both grabing at the same time to cancel. But that about it.