[Official] 3 Hit Rule Guide

Discussion in 'Game Guides' started by TheFuzionBranz, Oct 4, 2016.

1. TheFuzionBranz

TheFuzionBranz Wiki Creator & Manager, Scroll Masters Finalist

This is a guide made by me with my own knowledge that I gained with years of experience on RF and testing the physics. I will also use other info that I might have not aquired, gained by others or simply forgot to put in thread; So if you have something to tell me or just a question go for it.

This guide is about the main Physic of Juggling; The 3 hit rule. This Physic is what makes the juggle as long as possible for every scroll. At any point if you dont understand how I name animations, You can scroll down to the bottom of the post for all of my definitions.

The simple way to say the rule is that; Once an opponent is airbound, There is 3 Single Hit Animation Hits that can be done max at an opponent and then he will not be effected by any other single type hits. Once all single hits have been used up; You will be forced to use a Combo Hit Animation to maximize damage output. Like this it is impossible to spam single punches to infinity and do infinite air jump kicks. A Single Hit Animation is the following:
    1. A jump kick/punchThe first punch or kick of a scroll
    2. A jump kick/punch
    3. The blue aura dash of any nanmu
    4. An animation which is forced to count as a 3 hit rule tick so that a scroll cannot infinity juggle
    To help you understand, I will use all 4 rules in examples following.
    1. When you launch someone with any scroll (we will be using Dragon for this example), you can only do up to 3 single hits and will be forced to doing a combo if you want to maximize damage from your juggle: KKK P P KKPPK
    2. When you launch someone with Muscle Buster and do a "Bu juggle" (Which consists of landing on a higher platform, catching the juggle launcher with a jump kick and then resume the juggle), The jump kick and following single punch will do 2 ticks, Hence you will need to do a full combo with your 3rd and final tick: KKP JUMP-KICK P KKKK or KKP JUMP-KICK P PPPP
    3. Like example one, The first hit of a nanmu is considered a single hit (even if it makes the opponent change to standing up upon impact). It would look like this with Dragon once again: KKK P P V+PPPPPPPPP
    4. If you take Soulless and do: KPP P P KPP it will not work because the game developpers designed the KPP animations to act all as single hits, Because it would be considered a reset combo too easy to pull off.
    Now a Combo Hit Animation is designed to hit at any time as long as the opponent is air bound. A combo hit resets the single hit counter which creates the possiblity to do a reset juggle or an advanced nanmu, As well as a drop juggle. A scroll that has combos that can lift the opponent high enough with the recovery to catch it with another combo/nanmu is going to create a reset or advanced nanmu. If you fall down a platform and have landed combo hits on an opponent, You will be able to drop juggle.

Examples:
    1. An advance Nanmu with Dragon: KKK P P KKPP V+PPPPPPPPPP
    2. Doing a drop with Dragon: KKK P P KKP(random fall from ledge) Jump-Kick P KKPPK
    3. Doing an infinite drop and catch juggle on an cactus: KKP P P PP JUMP-KICK-FALLING JUMP-KICK-RISING P P PP JUMP-KICK-FALLING JUMP-KICK-RISING P P PP -REPEAT-

Take note that just because a hit in the combo is after the single/first one that it is automatically a combo hit.

Nimonix can design some of them to be a special type of animation that might count as a different one; which leads me to the third and final part of the guide; (SPECIAL) ANIMATIONS. An animation that is forced to be a single hit or combo hit. These are INVENTORY ITEMS and SCROLL MOVES specially designed by Nimonix. None of the base hitting methods of RF are included except for panic attack. Further more; These could be animations that ignore any rule of juggling and apply damage no matter what.

1)A Panic attack is designed to be a (Special) Undefined Hit Animation:. You can basically do with any scroll, but in this case for the example dragon, KKK P P P PANIC or KKK JUMPKICK JUMPKICK JUMPKICK PANIC and it will work because it doesnt use the 3 hit rule.

2)Items such as the bossmode medal Gun or Nades will ignore any rules because they are not Combo type anymation to begin with, they are (Special) Ignore Reset Rule Hit Animations.

3)The unique scroll Mystic Arts can do the combo KKK KP KP KPPPK. The part of the combo K(P) is designed to act as a (Special) Undefined Hit Animation. This animation will not reset the 3 hit rule, But it will not count as one either. Hence; With the K(P) punch applying damage but not resetting the rule or ticking it, It will allow a maximum of 2 resets because if done more, The third one will trigger the final tick of the 3 hit rule and will be impossible to catch once completed. (Meaning KKK KP KP KPPPK is strongest possible combo)

4)The unique scroll Blackout can do the combo PPPK P P P KKKK. This is possible because the first Kick in all kick combos is a double hit. The first hit out of them both is a Single Hit Animation but the second one is a Combo Hit Animation. When the combo is done, The first kick of the kick combo will only act as a single one, Since there has already been 3 ticks in the 3 Hit Rule, The second hit out of the double kick will hit because it is a Combo Hit Animation. The scroll Baguazhang also has a double hit as a first hit, But they are both created as Single hits. The only possible way to do the kick juggle with it is PPK P KKK

5)The unique scroll Sage Master has shares no combo animations like any other scroll in the game. All of its combos are (Special) Undefined Hit Animations. Some scrolls have these animations (Plum Ninjitsu's 3rd and Fourth punches, Destroyer's Cz, Mystic Arts KP). They do not reset the 3 Hit Rule, But they do not get limited by the 3 hit rule. You could infinite juggle with sage master with another player by simply doing the first punch over and over again. If a player does 3 single hits to an enemy in the air, you could catch it with any hit of Sage Master. First hits of combos that have this animation type will be able to hit after the 3 Hit Rule has been maxed.

WORD DEFINITIONS:
    Single Hit Animation
    : A hit that uses ticks on the 3 hit rule. Only 3 of these can be applied at max onto an airborn opponent and must be reseted by a COMBO HIT ANIMATION which would result in an inifinity juggle, reset or nanmu.
    Combo Hit Animation: A hit that follows the starting hit of a combo (Single Hit Animation). It can hit any opponent that is airborn because it doesnt use the third hit rule. Further more; It resets the rule allowing you to drop juggle and reset.
    (Special) Ignore Reset Rule Hit Animation: A hit that is designed not to reset the 3 hit rule. It is generally made to stop resets/advances from being too strong or easy without having to tune recovery/stun/impact of the animation.
    (Special) Undefined Hit Animation: A hit that is designed to hit the airborn opponent that will ignore all rules of the physics. (Doesnt reset also)
    Reset Juggle: A juggle that consists of you resetting the opponent by breaking the 3hit rule with a Combo Hit Animation and then catching it with a hit to perform another combo.
    Infinity Juggle: A juggle that is done by multiple players, Basically each taking turns juggling the player.
    Advanced Nanmu: A nanmu that is done after a combo hit so it will be able to connect, Just like a reset.
    Bu Juggle: A juggle that is continued on a different platform from the one started on after launching the opponent.
    3 Hit Rule: The main Physic of Juggles. 3 Single Hits can be applied maximum and the rest will be ignored until the rule is reset by a Combo hit animation.

2. Tengu

Tengu Creator of Savate

Jolly good

lVlonsterCat likes this.
  3. BloodNinja

BloodNinja Well-Known Member

If the K kg part of mystic is special like sage does that mean it's uncounterable

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    lVlonsterCat likes this.
  4. TheFuzionBranz

That is an unrelated juggle physic, but I'm pretty sure it is counterable.

lVlonsterCat likes this.
  5. BloodNinja

If what your saying about resets is true then why can't blackout reset since the second kick in the first kick sends them high enough and is a combo hit

lVlonsterCat likes this.
  6. TheFuzionBranz

I doubt it lifts high enough to be a proper reset, But in any case; It could always be coded like Mystic arts K+KG

lVlonsterCat likes this.
  7. Arceus

Arceus Clean Up Crew

Red storm:
    If you do KP, you can catch the user while they are knocked down actually do P P P PPPP juggle

The K P P P of red storm also each count as 1 hit in the 3 hit rule

lVlonsterCat likes this.
  8. BloodNinja

While practicing infinite cactus I found that with mao gong when I do pp drop and the second kick to go back up the next hit does that mean the second hit in punch combo hit counts as 2 single hits if it does it would explain why the next hits is a double hit and one misses which means the 3rd hit breaks 3 Hit rule mid combo? If my theory is correct then mg has enough recovery to infinite bridge reset since it breaks 3 hit rule each time due to 2nd hit

lVlonsterCat and tinythesalty like this.
  9. BloodNinja

I think it also effects how they make scroll combos
    Cuz with teng u cant infinite juggle left cactus with KKK
    Which is safe proof against a reset
    They did it by making the 3rd kick a single hit animation and the first kick in the scroll is a single hit but the 2nd is a combo hit which means u can technically reset with it but they gave that hit heavy recovery and low height sending so it's virtually impossible the counter has been reset so the two kicks in KKK are single hits but one is a combo hit to allow the last hit to connect that combo hit is most likely the first kick in KKK so

The way a juggle works is
    PPK P(SINGLE HIT) P(SINGLE HIT)
    first kick single hit
    Second hit combo hit
    First kick in the 3rd kick is a combo hit
    The other 2 are single hits and the last is a single hit which is why u cant adv with it despite good recovery
    It prolly determines what combo strings they can use which
    Is why there's only one variation of kicks within teng which is the K kg the kg is a combo hit that CAN theoretically reset but the low height it sends makes it hard if u were to reset it would prolly be as hard as dhns kkk launcher

lVlonsterCat likes this.