Latency Testing Guide

Discussion in 'Player to Player Support' started by Blitzcronk, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Blitzcronk

Blitzcronk Well-Known Member

Latency Testing Guide

This guide will help you not only diagnose any network faults you may have but it will give you a ballpark figure as to what your ping will be like during the game. You aren't required to download anything you only need to access Command Prompt. You can do this several ways but depending on your version of your Operating System it may be slightly different.

You can do this by by clicking this link Here or you can follow these three steps:
    1. Click Start.
    2. In the search field, type cmd.
    3. Right-click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator.

Once you have Command Prompt open, you have two ways of checking your ping.

Traceroute
    Trace routes can help identify where connection problems occur by testing the connection from our servers to your computer. A traceroute report shows the step-by-step path a packet of data takes to reach its destination. For the IP address example we will be using the address PlayRedFox uses for their webserver: playredfox.com

If you notice any of the following problems in your traceroute report, it may indicate an issue with your connection:

• Timeouts
    • * (asterisk) symbols
    • Number values jump from low to high
    • Numbers are consistently high

1. Click Start.
    4. In the Command Prompt, type tracert playredfox.com

Ping
    Ping is useful as a quick way to determine your connection's health. It sends packets, then waits for a response. Unlike traceroute, though, a ping test does not record the path the packet took. If there's latency or if our servers can't reach your computer, a ping test will let you know.

If you notice any of the following problems in your ping report, it may indicate an issue with your connection:

• Packet loss
    • High response time
    1. Click Start.
    4. In the Command Prompt, type ping playredfox.com
    This is not a guaranteed method to obtain accurate ping results but it will give you a good indication as to what your ping will be like depending on your geographical location. It's also worth noting that pinging the server the playredfox website is stored isn't the most accurate representation either.

Pathping
    Pathping is a useful diagnostic in helping you determine the path of your packets as they hop between routers to help determine where there might be a fault. You will also be able to see detailed information about the path of data from source to destination.

1. Click Start.
    4. In the Command Prompt, type pathping playredfox.com
    Credits to @HADES for the pathping suggestion.

Resource Monitor

Credits to @itsthem for his suggestion on adding Resource Monitor.

You can see a detailed explanation on how to do this Here

You may not be able to do this for every single game or for that matter, PlayRedFox at all. If they decide to block ping requests, you will just receive a "Timeout Error" which means the request made by your machine to send a ICMP ping request to the target server was rejected.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. Karamele

Karamele Member

Not rly. It's basic knowledge, you learn it in 1st year if you study IT. :)

3. HADES

HADES New Member

I hope the redfox will also give us their Natted IP of the game server which the game client will connect to, so we could effectively analyze our actual traceroute and ping result for the latency testing.

4. HADES

HADES New Member

Also add "pathping" command its a nice tool.

5. itsthem

itsthem Active Member

Or you could just open task manager (Alt Ctrl Del) Then Resource Monitor, Network tab.

6. Blitzcronk

Pathping works but it's more to see the packet loss at a specific hop between router to router, the packet loss may be an issue at any number of hops so it could be a problem on your end, your isp or towards Red foxes end. I can add it as well because I know Blizzard suggests it during network diagnostic tests.

Didn't think that would help you identify where you have packet loss or how long it takes for hops, thought that was just the traffic on your network?

It would help you determine the PID, the listening ports and the addresses but not really so much as an external diagnostic? I could be wrong still on my CCNA :p

7. itsthem

itsthem Active Member

It will tell you your ping, and lets face it, that's all you need to know.
    All the other stuff is out of your hands, its your ISP that determines what hops you take.

8. Blitzcronk

I did what you suggested and I wasn't really aware of that, I'll add it to the list and credit you. Thanks for that info.

9. Sooshee

Sooshee New Member

I tested using pathping command. Don't you guys think this is kind of weird ?
    [​IMG]

10. Blitzcronk

Each hop is hop from router to router as it leaves your router, goes through the routers for your ISP and then through to the routers for this game. The ping is 200ms, that's not an issue on this type of MMO.

11. Sooshee

Sooshee New Member

I meant the fact that the last hop has 53% packet loss. I think that's quite bad.

12. deviant88

deviant88 New Member

Waste of time the packet loss and 200+ ping is stupid this server is a fail.
    This game cannot be played without <100ms ping, i mean you can but only pve and even that sucks ass.
    Pvp is unplayable and >100ms.

13. Blitzcronk

It isn't at all. If you try to ping the IP address to the server it won't accept it, the packet loss is more than likely just ICMP requests not being received by the server, plus the hops will only really respond to the servers destination.

14. Victorion

Victorion Active Member

anybody using WTfast?
    And if, what are your experience with 9D?