How To Reduce Lag

Discussion in 'Game Guides' started by Vital, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Vital

Vital Active Member

How to reduce lag
    This guide provides information about peer to peer connection and elaborates how to make your connection better.
    Just to make it clear for everyone Rumble Fighter is a P2P (peer to peer) game. This means that when playing matches in rumble fighter, the quality of the connection between you and any other given person in the room depends on both controllable and uncontrollable factors that do not stem from the server.
    Peer to peer computing or networking is a distributed application architecture that partitions tasks or work loads between peers. Peers are equally privileged, equipotent participants in the application. They are said to form a peer-to-peer network of nodes.
    [​IMG]
    The image above describes the direction of the data being shared between 4 computers.
    The reason you may see lag after an update is due to new data being used between players that was not there before. This is why, over time, the intensity of the lag diminishes.
    If you see lag between you and another person, chances are either you are lagging, the other person is lagging, or the other person is close to someone that is lagging.
    In Rumble Fighter each players computer is responsible for sending updates each millisecond as to the following:

Examples:
    • Where the players character moved.
    • Whether it received damage.
    • Whether the player is dead or not.
    Teleporting occurs when:
    • Someones computer fails to send updates to the peers it is connected to in a timely or consistent manner
    • Someones character is moving closely or is connected to another character that is failing to send updates in a timely manner.
    To elaborate on the red part:

Lets say someone is using a slow internet connection to play the game and is fighting a non lagger. If you watch them fight, you will see them both teleporting because the lagger is failing to send updates of where his character is. if the character that is lagging fails to send an update that he has run forwards a bit (toward the non lagger), and the non lagger runs toward him, -you- will see both of them lag when either person sends an update about their location (because the other person is supposedly in the same place as them, and since the game will not allow this to happen, it moves a player to another location until the next update occurs and is correct.

Falling through the ground/invisible people occurs when:

someone jumps a gap and there is a discrepancy between where your client thinks the person is, and where he actually is. If he jumps the gap and "falls into the water/ pit " on your screen, then suddenly begins hitting you, this is because your client did not accurately register where he was in the jump, probably because his failed to send an update in time. Because of this, it registers him as being in the water/ pit, while his client still allows him to fight since he made the jump on his screen. Sometimes though, invisible characters will not be able to hit you. this happens because your client does not see them on the same level of the field as you, and so does not recognize that you should be taking damage.

How to maintain your connection.
    The updates to your health and other status areas are data. because they are data, other programs running in the background of your computer, clutter on your hard drive, and other things can cause lag. Internet browsers use a huge amount of data so your computer is forced to download this incoming data and send data. Closing Skype from running in the background can help your connection.

A few tips to reduce lag:
    1. Play with people that are located close to your location.
      • The longer data has to travel the longer the time it takes to update each of it's peers clients.
    2. Gamebooster
      • A free program to shut down all background processes running on your computer for you to decide when you want to turn them on again.
    3. DON'T download while playing.
      1. The more congested your connection is the longer it'll take for packets to update. This will result in lag.
    4. Play with a decent internet connection
      1. For playing Rumble Fighter i'd recommend having a download speed of 1.5 MB/s. Even though this is slow compared to modern internet connections this is a decent connection and for a game that was released in 2005 this is a decent internet connection which would allow you to download other players data without any problems.
    5. If you are using wireless internet then you can increase the connection by sitting closer to the router.
    6. Avoid playing when people are using your internet connection to do data-intensive things.
    7. Don't play in static storms/ thunderstorms.
      1. Static messes with your connection. Especially if it's wireless.
    8. Keep your router away from things like microwaves, refridgerators, etc.

Port forwarding Rumble Fighter will decrease your lag.
    1. Log into Rumble Fighter
    2. Go to your Command Prompt (Run>cmd)
      1. Remember to open as administrator.
    3. Type "Netstat -a -b -n" in your command prompt (without the quotations).
    4. Find the TCP and UDP of rumble fighter.
      • Eg. should say something like this:
      • TCP 192.168.0.3:1663
      • [RUMBLEFIGHTER.EXE]
      • The 1663 is the port.
      • The UDP is usually just 1 under it. In this case it would be 1662.
    5. Go to your default router website.
      • EG. 192.168.0.1 as the URL
    6. Look for Port Forwarding in the site.
      • Mine is usually in Advanced>Port Forwarding
    7. Enter the name of the application (Rumble Fighter) Your IP Address and the TCP and UDP ports.
    8. Check the box and click save settings.

NOTICE!!!
    Every time you log off and log back in the port will change.
    so your going to have to repeat all of this again every time you log on.

Hope this guide helped you to reduce any ingame lag and gave you a further understand of peer to peer connection which is the networking application architecture Rumble Fighter uses to share loads/data between players.

Sources:
    Gamerzplanet.net
    Wikipedia.org
    Atlava.com

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    tamirtov, DirtyFan2, Shana and 2 others like this.
  2. Yusuke

Yusuke Best Dressed

Nice thread

Fraud and Vital like this.
  3. Shiny

Shiny Member

What is port forwarding and how does it help reduce lag?

4. Stefan

Stefan Member

Whenever I port forward the rumble fighter client my client won't get into server. If I portforward while already in the game, the client freez and the connection is stopped.
    I would suggestyou to add MTU change tutorial for the internet connection that would avoid data packs loss.
    I also have spikes, the characters are moving forward or dissapear/getting "godmode".

5. Vital

Vital Active Member

When you connect your ports you are telling your router whether you want to allow incoming and outgoing connections through a specified port. In other words you give other users permission to start connect with you. Basically you tell your router to allow incoming connections from a specific port, so you must tell your client (for example Rumble Fighter ) to use this particular port. It's hard give a simple explanation of it if you don't have any knowledge about it yourself. I'd recommend that you do a bit of research on it if you are interested to understand the purpose of it. To end with Port Forwarding is commonly used for gaming and hosting web pages.

Shiny likes this.
  6. Shiny

Shiny Member

Ohh, cool. Thanks for the guide :D

7. Vital

Vital Active Member

Idk what's wrong in your case. Are you sure you're entering your router administration through the web as an admin?

8. Stefan

Stefan Member

Yeah, all through my Administrator user. But I solve it while changing my MTU.

9. Vital

Vital Active Member

What is this MTU method?

10. Stefan

Stefan Member

11. ELIXA

ELIXA Active Member

I cant get Netstat-a-b-n thing to work
    it isnt recognizing the command

12. ELIXA

ELIXA Active Member