How I believe game development companies should influence their consumers/players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maomi, Nov 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maomi

Maomi Clean Up Crew

It's just odd to me how I have to do a deep search on RF on relevant information from their game. And most of the information I get are from forum posts, old reddits, and YouTube videos. Next summer I have an internship with RIOT, the multi-million dollar company based around their hit MOBA League of Legends. The reason I applied wasn't because I like the game or that I'm good at it. It's because as a business major at my college, getting a degree in Information Systems and Data Analytics, I know what makes a company stand out in the 21st century with a consumer complex made up of millennials and centennials with a attention span of 2-4 seconds before they move onto something else "modern," "techy," or "revolutionary in said industry,".

I'm not saying they have to do this but as a centennial myself, going through a web 2.0 site searching through forum posts about new events and other relevant information to the game (like specs on new game mechanics) isn't fun.

*Evaluation #1 of League Client in post below.

Evaluation #2 of the League Client:
    upload_2019-11-29_2-39-10.png

If you want your business to thrive you have to have some sort of
    reputability with your community. Think about it, if you were going to hold a party and wanted to order some pizza--who would you order from? If anything you most definitely thought of the industry giants such as Pizza Hut, Papa John's, and Dominoes.

Like any company, they could easily scam you, give you bad service, etc. but because they relate to their computers by branding themselves as "for the people", advertisements, and having a social media presence they fit themselves into the world's perspective whenever you feel hungry and want a slice.

You're a gaming company, which makes it a bit harder especially since you're a company that isn't located in North America there's a culture gap, statistical capstones, etc. I get that, but try to make an effort to fit your game or company into the gaming atmosphere that could drive you to more business.

Evaluation #3 of the League Client:
    upload_2019-11-29_2-48-32.png

No shade on the guy who makes patch notes but holy crap does it have information that's useless to a casual player like me. Having new scrolls mechanics fixed, buffs and nerfs, etc. is nice and all. But there's a specific breed of players who want that info. And to make matters worse, I can't say how you guys run things at your company, but you shouldn't have one of your players (despite how much he engages in the community) doing patch notes when he has no incentive to give the right information or correct information. He's not getting paid, and the only benefits we can see from here is him getting some forum clout and being your errand boy.

Granted this perspective is biased based on the fact I don't know Starberry or who he is, but it only takes a few minutes to make a list what happened in a specific patch to the servers. I need an explanation as to why you need an ambassador to do something that's crucial for players to understand new details added to the game.

Riot makes it so that their players are nudged into wanting to learn more about the game. The patch notes consist of new items, added/deleted mechanics, price/ability changes, etc. and you know it's right because in #AskRiot they highlighted how they get a detailed list from the game-development committee to the storyboard team on what improvements/changes were made to the game BY THE MINUTE.

They also have a table of contents to make finding relative information (to the type of player you are) easier. For instance, a player interested in art and design could give a damn about damage fixes on items. All she wants to know is if she won an art contests, new items, etc.

And did I mention that all of this is IN THE CLIENT so there's NO NEED TO GO THE WEBSITE UNLESS YOU WANT DETAILED INFORMATION?

Conclusion: Whether you think of Rumble Fighter as a game, a business, or a way to make money. Please be a little more considerate of the way you treat your players. While I could go on about this and that, while it's true Riot Games and NimoniX are different companies you could at least learn something from the way they treat their players.

Thank you for reading.

No TL;DR, it's split it and color-coded so just read a specific part and give feedback.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  2. Maomi

Maomi Clean Up Crew

Evaluation #1 of League Client:
    upload_2019-11-29_3-9-18.png

Overview screen showing contributions from community, events, and new additions to the in-game store.

Dynamic display of friend's list giving interpersonal communication with showing what they're doing (idle, in-game, in room) to give invitation for co-op play.

Report button for bugs and ideas (of course somethings need to be explained through the website but at least players don't have to wait 2-5 minutes to start the webpage to post the problem) This allows players to explain problems that happen in real time and allows developers to respond and give fixes (even if it means small patches) in minutes.

Collaborations between community artists, devposts (to communicate with players about in-game experiences), events (the game does a good game of promoting players with events so I'll let this one slide), and new addition to the shop (the tag "New" on items isn't as enticing as seeing the price and name before entering the store. This is Marketing 101 but basically you want to make the consumer comfortable with the asset before they think they'll but it. That'll make the decision of the consumer much easier.

*Wouldn't let me post the picture on the original post.

HumoLoco, EliasAndBob and SoulSpan like this.
  3. xenlyiin

xenlyiin Active Member

did you enjoy wasting your time?

4. Maomi

Maomi Clean Up Crew

About the same amount of time it took you to comment something clever. So I should be asking you that. :p

SoulSpan and HumoLoco like this.
  5. HumoLoco

HumoLoco Clean Up Crew

I been told them when they took the notice load away where GC put the notice load.

Maomi likes this.
  6. twooo

twooo New Member

summer intern as a swe???

Maomi likes this.
  7. sheeran

sheeran Clean Up Crew

Not sure what the point of all these font colors are.

NimoniX doesn't care to improve the quality of their game. If they did, it would have been done or at least attempted by now. The community is wasting their time spending money and suggesting changes to the game. Enjoy it for as it is, until it officially closes.

Maomi likes this.
  8. Maomi

Maomi Clean Up Crew

The game has a lot of quirks mechanically. But at least care enough to make a profit through marketing and sales to influence new buyers (I keep seeing the same people in-game, it's kind of sad). That's just bad business imo.

I think it sets a positive image for the game. If people show that they care for a specific topic it'll change. That's why they started doing the Fisticuff Fridays, Plaza, new items, etc. because a lot of people wanted to additions to the game. Granted we don't know how well they work at least they put in the effort.

If they had an office in the US and needed a data analyst intern to run some numbers on how to up their business protocols and algorithms, I'd go for it. I wouldn't even have to get paid.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2019
  9. HumoLoco

HumoLoco Clean Up Crew

Yea indeed. Always same people who is willingly to stack da RC for Rumble Fighter. I bet around 2 to 5.

10. twooo

twooo New Member

you didn't apply?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maomi likes this.
  11. Maomi

Maomi Clean Up Crew

OH yeah I did that a few weeks ago. I applied to ROBLOX Corp. as well since I develop games for them.

12. IamGoD

IamGoD Active Member

Can't read

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.