1v1 Tourney REPORT @Nimonix, @RedFox

Discussion in 'Player Events' started by M4cropod, Apr 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M4cropod

M4cropod Well-Known Member

Hello fellow players,

as you might know, I hosted a 1v1 tournament for the EU players during the past 2-3 weeks, where alot has happened --> TOURNEY THREAD

This tourney report is a voluntary service from me for you all - no matter if you just are interested to check this out, want motivation to plan a tourney yourself or are just bored. I will give you a short overview and then go on to write about what was good, what less and what could be improved - and as I am a kinda negative person, there will be alot in that section ;). So, here we go:

Short overview:

- The tourney took roughly 2.5 weeks
    - 32 participants entered the tournament, we had 42 people who wanted to join, also two players have been disqualified during the tourney and one player before the start
    - the planning and executing was really time-consuming, more than I expected it to be
    - it was a 1v1 tourney with alternate rules (check the first page of the tourney thread to see the rules)
    - the tourney thread had almost 300 comments and 6000 views
    - Those were the people who helped me in the tournament: Heroic (sponsor), Lemon (sponsor, supervisor, stream provider), MoonFenix, MonsieurMonk, HaSeR (all supervisors)

Thank you alot, guys! Without you, this tourney couldn't have taken place! Also thanks to everyone who gave me tips and advice regarding certain things!

What was good?

- The "excitement factor": Most matches, except for most in the first round, were really intense, especially the quarter final and semi final matches
    - The new match format was overwhelmingly well-recieved. People credited the diversity in scroll selection, which the rules created. You were not able to use one overpowered scroll and roll with it. Most people liked that.
    - There was huge interest! After that short period at the start, when people thought I am faking, people started applying en masse. I didn't even expect to reach 32 participants, just to see that we easily surpassed that number at the end. Even retired veteran players hit me up to ask whether I plan to do more tourneys and whether they can take part in this. People already started planning their own tourneys, when they saw that there is that one guy who really does host a tourney. I got the feeling that the event got the community rolling - at least a little bit. And I am proud of that, seeing that the effort was not worthless.
    - Discord --> made organizing and planning alot easier...fights could be arranged pretty well with everyone whom I had on that platform
    - Lag-free fights mostly: Besides one problematic fight, every other fight got no or very little lag problems.
    - This tourney contributed to getting a dc exploit fixed. Have you asked yourself why the invites and Search User tab are gone? Because spamming invites was leading to disconnections without the attacker needing your IP or such. There were attempts to abuse this during my tourney, but by turning invite messages off, this was hot-fixed. This had to be reported anyway asap, so it happened and the invite system got removed.
    - The people who helped me during the tourney - again a shoutout to you!
    - The sportsmanship. After seeing all these cancerous threads in the 1v1 section, I had little hope that there would not be such behaviour during my tourney. But surprisingly in a positive way, there was none such thing. Players accepted their defeat, basically no one bragged or trashed around, all in all, players were respectful towards each other, which was nice to see.

What less so? What could be improved?

- Match planning with people not using Discord, as I had no proper way to access these people outside the game. This problem led to some matches taking place a few days after all the other matches, as certain people were just not coming online. Deno even got disqualified for inactivity as my judges or I were not seeing him being online for 9 days. To address this problem in the future, getting a software like Discord could be made a requirement for participating in a tourney.
    - To immediately continue with the connectivity issues, the forums are/were not being looked at by everyone. Because of that and the Discord thing, I was mostly not able to reach everyone at the same time, which led to some little delays and also to me telling the latest news to everyone one by one. People are simply not checking the forums, and idk how to improve this tbh...
    - I am not an experienced 1v1er and it showed: I realized that there are simply scrolls which need to be banned in future tournaments, as they are just too good compared to other scrolls. This was not really exploited until the very end of the tourney in the third-place battle and finals, which also is one reason for the lopsided results at the end. One player only used certain scrolls like Mystic or Electro, the other did not. This is not an ideal situation and will be addressed in future tournaments.
    - The low-jump and matrix jump ban caused little debates, but I still believe that this choice is the right one to make, because macros are a thing and not everyone has access to these. That doesn't take the fact into account that macros are actually illegal in the game of RF fyi...
    - The rules, besides being well-received, caused confusion at the start. Not everyone was able to understand them at the start, maybe some examples in the thread would help in the future.
    - The trash talk of the "old gens" and "pros" in the tournament thread: Boring, useless and the worst thing: endlessly long. Next time, I will have to make a legit 2nd thread for such spam. Thanks for the views I guess?
    - because of the threats of a certain person, I started this tourney secretly and also didn't advertise as much I could - potential wasted, but nothing to be sad about

---------------------- Warning: Dealing with a spoiled kid now ----------------------

- And last, but certainly not least, @Benoon a.k.a. "the kid who isn't true to his words", who caused most of the difficulties in this tournament. You probably will even be proud to be mentioned here.

He mentioned, he "doesn't play anymore", but logs in again and again under different accounts smh. Stay banned, stick to your words for once and quit.

L
    L a la banned speciale (only two recent examples)

And now drum rolls please, because I can't hold these L's anymore:

L1.jpg L2.jpg
    L3.jpg L4.jpg

Fact check:

- Tournament completed as planned? Check.
    - Benoon not keeping his word? Check.

In your words: Stay bad and tr8sh kid.

Wanna see, what you achieved in your attempt to destroy my tourney besides ddosing me with a pitifully weak booter? The disqualification of ElitePapa. I rate 8/8, m8:

L5.jpg L6.jpg

I once said this to you:

"Can't you finally realize that I still try to save your face, even after all of your childish behaviour, threating and trashing? Why do you want everyone to see your antics? Many people in this game still respect you and if you want this to remain like that, stop complaining and accept what happened once and for all. Take the little shards of your remaining dignity and get lost from this thread, Ben."

You didn't.

ggwp no re - you lost.

You are banned forever in every tournament where I am involved in planning and hosting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, this was an amazing experience for me and I really hope for you as well! And I really wanna thank everybody who had something to do with this tournament again.

If you have certain tournament ideas, hit me up! That would be very much appreciated by me - but also by the community.

Sincerely,
    M4cropod

-------------------------------------------------------

@Nimonix, @RedFox

The players really want these tournaments. Give the people what they crave for! We want to help you, realize that! Provide prizes for user-made tournaments!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Punchski and Jazztech like this.
  2. M4cropod

NOTE: This is just copypasta (cba to insert the pics again), in case my general discussion thread should not get approved!

3. Benoon

Benoon Well-Known Member

definetly made my day. thought you're avoiding beef n' shidd but eh. i'll let you off here.
    Thank u for dah good times, kangaroo aka stupid and unsuccessful nerd :^)

I don't wanna go tl;dr so i'll just drop this again.

be honored this is a quote from a sacred place.
    'Where everythings calculated, melancholy flows' // 'nun'.

;);)

oh and your pictures dont work i wanna laugh more if possible.

BJJFromGJJ likes this.
  4. Kyonu

Kyonu Member

Hats down for Mr. @M4cropod who actually hosted a great community tourney. I'm impressed how you managed to fully complete the tourney with such ease.

Keep going doe, I think you've earned everybodies respect and thankfullness.

M4cropod likes this.
  5. Benoon

Benoon Well-Known Member

Yh man definetly a perfect tournament. where the good players are banned for being too good.

#'respect'
    Lul.

@M4cropod
    Would be unfortunate getting banned here if i actually had competition.
    Nice attempt giving me an L, but i wouldnt be taking it from a trash skilled player who happens to be a stupid nerd.
    GL getting a player who can actually win me participate in your tou- Oh wait. No one can beat me. I'm the undisputed top 1.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    tamirtov likes this.
  6. M4cropod

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate those alot. There is another tournament currently being planned, I reached my goal. The community got rolling, let's see how far we get.

Just leaving this here (I can soon make an album out of your Ls alone), you are making this way too easy. Just can't be true to your words:

L7.png

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Punchski and Jazztech like this.
  7. Curiosity

Curiosity Active Member

Youre bragging about being top 1 on a dead game.

8. Benoon

Benoon Well-Known Member

Like i said the moment a player who can beat me participates in your tournament ill take an L.
    But that wont happen LOL!
    Ps i added undisputed top 1 cuz we all know who the king is.
    I should edit this and say yh i'm not true to my words. Gj man. 'Exposed'
    Try giving me an L ig? AWH MAN. HOLD THAT BIG BIG L LMFAO FORUM FIGHTER!!!
    Yh? And whutsup?:)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  9. Kyonu

Kyonu Member

You were the only good player getting banned tho.
    The difficulty was questionable since most 1vs1ers didn't qarticipate. However, I had the opportunity to fight without question the most skilled person out of all participants in the first round which is enough for me to thank M4cropod.
    No it was not iiChechen, it was actually PerfecTone who is a 1vs1 veteran.

If you desire serious 1vs1 competition you are sadly playing years too late.

10. M4cropod

1. No one got banned for being too good. I wouldn't have reached out to Trip or Kazz, just to name two, if I wanted this tourney to be as easy as possible. Also I would not have posted the tourney thread in the first place and made it a guild tourney or something like for instance a level 1-30 tournament idk. I think you get my point. The tourney came a little out of a sudden, so not everyone knew about it, while others simply refused to participate. Then there was also that thought that I fake this tourney...

2. iiChechen was not playing, that is true. He could have done it though, he was online, but stepped off deliberately. You can ask him, if you want.

11. Vurtune

Vurtune Active Member

The thing is as follows:

The current playerbase isn't as "skilled" as you'd like it to be in order to host a 1v1 tournament. Even if, in fact, you managed to get a few of the old top 5-10s to play in it, it still wouldn't be the outcome you wished for since these players are most likely either rusty or washed up. In order to host a proper event you'd also need a proper playerbase. Old players can be brought back and, let's say, unrusted thoroughly in a certain amount of time. But the problem is that even if that happened, these players would only play for the sake of nostalgia and attachment to something the game used to be. This, of course, is no problem and has no impact on their skill (if you take the rust problem out), but the problem is that no matter how much you desire innovations or anything that brings about novelty to your idea, it simply cannot happen. In the past it was easier to host something like an 1v1 tournament because the game had something we lack now: fluidity. Back in the game's prime, which is 2010-2011-2012, we have had a constant new stream of 1v1ers (who weren't necessarily new players, most of them in fact were people who turned from moon to 1v1, i.e. Khirmell) who could succeed the older one. RF is a very complex game and as you can see if you take a look at old videos from 4-5 years ago, it has evolved quite significantly. This evolution was caused precisely by the people who invented new things and created new styles or moves which no one previously thought of. Take turtling for example; if you watch a game from 2009-2010 you'd find it really hilarious how the players didn't do something as simple and as obvious as angling their guards in order to not get grabbed. What was then considered novelty has now been internalized in the common styles or knowledge of the game, and because this happened, new creations were possible. These new creations picked up from where the previous ones were left off, continuing what would be called a "legacy", if you want. There were people who longed so much for these new creations and innovations that went to RF NA in order to train (I did that as well) and meet new varieties or playstyles in order to adapt themselves and improve their skills. The point is, there was this thing called dedication which is now absent. I, for instance, should be called a previous generation 1v1er as my prime has long been gone and I haven't touched the game seriously in 3 years. The problem is that I can't be labeled as a previous generation 1v1er; why? Because there's no current generation capable to succeed me. We have, let's say, around 5 people who can be labeled as a "current" generation, but is that number significant enough in order to be labeled as a generation? I doubt so. Thus, even if you host a number of tournaments, you'd invariably have the same players time and time again, and nonetheless a huge skill gap between the select few and the others, simply because we do not have the fluidity I mentioned. The skill gap problem isn't related to this tournament though so I won't elaborate on that.

But even so, this initiative isn't all bad things. In fact, this kind of event serves as motivation for people to be competitive again, to train, to come back to the game or to invent new things. When the game had that fluidity I mentioned we lacked the impulse or initiative to host this kind of events. We had 3 1v1 tournaments, one in 2009, another in 2010 and the last in 2011, but that was it. The last official 1v1 EU tournament was supposed to take place somewhere at the end of 2013 when Funstad hosted it and managed to raise lots of interest in it, not only with the prizes but also the notoriety of the ones that, blatantly, have gotten reserved spots, who were the top 5 at the time. This represented a chance to settle your "beef" with a counterpart but as well as attempt to officially bring down one of the then-considered "titans" of the game. The tournament sadly never took place as the game closed, and during the years we have realized what opportunities we have lost due to the fact that we've never had any initiative towards an official competitive tournament. The host was partly to blame, but moreso us, because player events were also possible, like they are now. Starting out slow by hosting this kind of event is a great beginning, but there are lots of things that need to be done before. The most important thing would be the playerbase and the skillbase of the participants. Due to its nature, the fluidity I mentioned earlier is absolutely necessary in a tournament. If it will come again with time or not, we don't know. But what we surely know is that if we don't do anything it will surely not come about, and that's why I respect your initiative. The thing is though that we still don't have the necessary skillbase, even if we have the playerbase, needed to host a tournament. But skill is gained with time and training, and seeing as a considerable number of people have attempted to join the tournament things are actually starting to look good.

All in all, I support your decision to have hosted this tournament and, as much as you'd like to think that I'm only writing this or keeping a certain amount of interest in the game because I want to dream about the old days, I'm congratulating you for your "achievement"(it is in fact worthy of being called one), and I`ll gladly offer my support as well as my connections if you decide to host another one in the near future. It can be interesting to see what will come out of it, be it a meaningless ambition or not.

Benoon likes this.
  12. Ketranis

Ketranis Member

LOOOOOOOL MONKEY BOY LOST TO RUFFY? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Vlad talking about the prime of the game but was irrelevant af and the only reason any of you newgen morons became ''decent'' was due to the rest of us already losing interest in the game. The only reason you're remembered is due to being an excellent laughing stock, but even Aery outshines you there. tl;dr that long wall of text ROFL

Benoon calling himself undispusted top 1... holy sht the the game must have gone down the drain for real LMFAO. Mans calling himself top 1 but doesn't know how the game functions. YOOOOOOOOOOOO this is like when monkey boy didn't know punches were blockable from the front LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

It's fun to watch how inexperienced and ignorant you all can be, damn. I suppose it's to be expected given the state of the game but damn what a regressive community hahahahaahah yo I'm done! That undisputed top 1 sht made my day doe. Damn, let's not forget who actually had an actual title. Unrivaled Champion all the way back from OGP, none of that self-proclaimed sht. This newgen community is hella tame.

Oldgen players had a profound insight into the game which is lost on these ignorant newgen trash and that's straight facts. Please don't talk about what's good about hosting a 1v1 tournament when you don't even know a thing about 1v1 in the first place. I see no 1v1ers in that bracket, only pretentious third rate trash that has a shot because the people that actually were worth anything are long gone or have simply no interest.

But I'm a nice guy, so gl with the next one.

Also Lemon is MAD garbage, sit yo ass DOWN boi.

13. Benoon

Benoon Well-Known Member

Didn' read all, but shouldn't of mentioned skillgap.
    he dqs the players who are beyond a certain skill lvl for some odd reason.

I would love to see another player hosting a proper tournament, where we don't have stupid rules(aka lowjump matrix) and a stupid newgen host.

nice essay though.

pretend like u didn' get smacked. :^)
    clown.

14. Ketranis

Ketranis Member

? I won 2-1 and 3-0 ** you on about LMFAO.

You won a round due to forcing, gj. Accusing me of forcing when you're a sand monkey is HILARIOUS. Everyone knows you lag like sht and you start crying about lag when it's quite obvious you're the reason it lags. FOH kid, the contradictions in your view on the game and your attitude is nothing short of pathetic at this point.

Nice to see your attitude change the past two months, but projecting your ignorance through your pretentious arrogance would only be commendable if you were actually worth something or could say something that was actually of any worth. More fkn pseudointellectual than Vlad, and that's staying something.

15. Benoon

Benoon Well-Known Member

2-1 and 3-0? nt trash fraud. but n0.
    mans talking about ignorance when he's 0 on education? LMFAO???????
    talking about pretentiousness when you're here frauding about scores & having yourself force lag me and crying about ghosted keys 24/7 and still taking L's? LMAO?
    'Ignorance is a bliss'
    HAHAHAHAHAHHA GODDAMN!

Manh needs to feed his fat ego once inawhile so he hops on the forum and trynna act relevant in 2k17.
    lmk if i need to place you on my hall of fame, matchplanning section frauding trashcan.

'FOH kid'. stick to dark souls and know your place next time. LUL.

tamirtov likes this.
  16. Smoke

Smoke Member

17. Benoon

Benoon Well-Known Member

18. Smoke

Smoke Member

I showed him on skype that my personal dog is claiming top 1 o_O.

19. Benoon

Benoon Well-Known Member

oh, he knew that alrd. just pretentiousness.
    thanks though.:):):)

20. Smoke

Smoke Member

Benoon is #1 Middle East 1v1er you obviously cut the screenshot.
    You keep posting that ss like it means something, you lagg, macro, lure a bit, use op scrolls and sweat heavily to squeeze a win. Then you run like a mad dog to forums and post it thinking you accomplished something when in reality you are the biggest loser on this game lol.

BTW post the whole screenshot dog not the cut ;).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.