[Updated] Umbra - Introduction of new, spicy mechanics

Discussion in 'Scroll' started by Comoros, Dec 19, 2016.

?

should umbra be created

1. yes

29 vote(s)
    85.3%
  2. no

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. Comoros

Comoros Well-Known Member

Umbra
    Note: Despite the character's appearance, this scroll is not Android only.

This scroll is inspired by the character "Emerl" from the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. He has the ability to copy the characters moves, so you can consider this a Sonic the Hedgehog scroll.

Price: 1100 CC
    Combos:
    PPPP
    KKKK
    KKK(K+G)
    KKKP
    K(K+G)
    kG
    >>G

Stance:
    [​IMG]

NEW JUMP PUNCH MECHANIC - Forced down
    [​IMG]

Umbra features a modified jump punch. This jump punch will be a hammer fist aimed in front AND directly below the user. Any opponent struck by this punch will be slammed down to the ground, unable to use saver (but still able to recovery in any other way). A juggle cannot be started after the jump punch connects.

Demonstration with dummy:
    [​IMG]

NEW AIR KICK MECHANIC - Lifted knock up
    [image coming soon]
    Traditionally, the air kick just lifted an airborne enemy a bit or just hitstunned an enemy on the ground. In Umbra, the air kick lifts both airborne and grounded enemies just a bit, enough to raise somebody over the fences of moonlight valley. So if the user and enemy were in the air and the Umbra user air kicks, not only would they land first, but they have time to set up for some type of combo.

Combo 1:
    PPPP
    [​IMG]
    PPPP 80, 120, 110, 155 [465]
    Punch 1: A swift chop. A standard first punch animation.
    Punch 2: A forward punch. A punch stronger than the first. Your opponent cannot block this punch if the first punch attacks your opponent from the back.
    Punch 3: A twisting punch. When this punch is executed, the user does a fast twist, and then punches the opponent.
    Punch 4: A backhand fist. Knock back. The final strike of this combo. The recovery is fast, since this is a swift punch combo. The knockback is standard, and should be identical to the average knockbacks for a punch combo.

Combo 2:
    KKKK
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

KKKK
    Kick 1: An axe kick. The user brings up his foot and kicks downward. Since this is the first kick, if it strikes the opponent, the opponent cannot block after this hit if the combo was fluently executed.
    Kick 2: A regular kick to the side. The kick slides the user just a bit. It's just a kick to the side.
    Kick 3: Another side kick. The user twists around and follows up with another kick to the side.
    Kick 4: A sweeping finisher to the combo. The recovery is poor, but there is a heavy stun on opponents that block this kick to compensate. ALSO, the knockback for this kicks the person to the right side of the user.

Combo 3:
    KKK(K+G)
    [​IMG]
    KKKK(k)(k) 90, 70, 70, (80, 80, 105) [495] (all three hits of the last kick occur near-simultaneously, like the two hits in Blackout's first kick)

Kick 1: An axe kick. The user brings up his foot and kicks downward. Since this is the first kick, if it strikes the opponent, the opponent cannot block after this hit if the combo was fluently executed.
    Kick 2: A regular kick to the side. The kick slides the user just a bit. It's just a kick to the side.
    Kick 3: Another side kick. The user twists around and follows up with another kick to the side.
    Kick 4 + 5 + 6: Spinning screw kick. Knock back. Following up from the third kick, the user spins in the air and preforms three kicks. These attacks are similar to blackout's first kick, like how it has a double attack in one kick. The recovery is very poor on this kick, and is punishable if used incorrectly.

Combo 4 (Launcher):
    KKKP
    [​IMG]
    (The blasts are still purple, the animation just messed up)

KKKP - 90, 70, 70, 100 [330] (the launcher is similar to Telos's KPP; the opponent falls faster than normal)
    Punch 4: A small Area of Effect attack that will affect anybody within its range. Juggle launcher. Yes, this is a bit of an AoE attack. Anybody who is in it's area would be attacked, but the area of effect is somewhat small. The recovery is moderate. This launch is different than most. It is like Telos; the launch causes the opponent the fall faster than usual, making it harder to juggle.

Damages from juggle:
    KKKP P P PPPP
    [330] + 48 + 48 + [279] = [706]

KKKP P P KKKK+G (the last kick will always miss due to its properties, but the juggle will knock the opponent very high)
    [first hit missed = highest damage]
    [330] + 48 + 48 + [234] = [660]

Combo 5 (Lift):
    K(K+G)
    [​IMG]
    K(G+K) 90, 135 [225]
    Lift 2: An upwards kick. Lift. A unique lift, yes. It is similar to Murekwon's last punch from its punch combo. So this lift also knocks the opponent back at the same time, not just lifts them in front of you.

Counter
    (G+K) [235]
    The counter initiation is standard counter initiation.
    When the counter is connected, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    The user uses a force-field that strikes the opponent, and they are knocked back in front of the opponent.

Grab
    (G+P) [240]
    [​IMG]
    The grab initiation is the same as any other scroll. Upon succession, you punch your opponent, teleport behind them, kick them, teleport back in front of them, preform a chop, teleport behind them, axe kick them, then preform the final teleport and hit them with an explosion.

Standard Special
    kG [200]
    [​IMG]
    When you press the kG input, you throw a projectile. When your opponent comes into contact with this projectile, the user teleports behind them and kicks them. Basically, this is a ranged grab.

There are things that should be noted though.
    - This projectile could be blocked. If it is blocked, the grab does not go through.
    - The duration is not that long at all... the projectile is only in the air as long as the duration of the blade spirit dash.
    - The distance is medium range. It would be the distance of a spiked nade being thrown on a flat platform.
    - If the projectile hits the opponent while they are in the air, the opponent will just fall, without the grab being executed.
    - The projectile well elevate you to the same elevation the opponent is struck at. For example, if you throw it at an enemy that is on a platform a little higher, you will be on that platform as well.
    - The projectile force's the opponent to face you - so when you teleport behind them, the knock back will always occur.

Running Special
    >>G [150]
    [​IMG]
    Consider this a watered-down version of the Ivan Boss Exocore skill. All you do is Guard while running, and you do a very quick dash. This skill's dash goes as far as Z Exocore's dash. You are not given invincibility frames, and you go through players while doing this.

When you activate it on an exposed opponent, it will cause them to trip, like so:
    [​IMG]
    This skill is not a grab of any sort, so it will affect multiple players, not just one, if they are in line with the dash.

However, if you are using this skill on an opponent that is blocking, you will simply go through them, like this:
    [​IMG]

Nanmu
    50, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, (20 20 20), 50, 51, (20 20 20), 80, 100 [696]
    [​IMG]
    Strike 1: Standard nanmu dash.
    Strike 2: Second punch from the punch combo.
    Strike 3: Third punch from the punch combo.
    Strike 4: Fourth punch from the punch combo (no knock down).
    Strike 5: Second kick from the kick combo.
    Strike 6: Third kick from the kick combo.
    Strike 7 + 8 + 9: Fourth kick from the mix combo. (No knock down)
    Strike 10: Second kick form the kick combo.
    Strike 11: Third kick form the kick combo.
    Strike 12 + 13 + 14: Fourth kick from the mix combo. (No knock down)
    Strike 15: The running special skill. Does not trip opponent. Just goes through him.
    Strike 16: The standard special skill. Once connected with the opponent, you teleport to the opposite side and knock them down.

Demonstration with dummy:
    [​IMG]

Note: If anything in the scroll seems impossible or hard to create, please feel free to substitute it for something else that works, developers.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Bl1tz and NeoStrayFox like this.
  2. Comoros

Reservation

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    NeoStrayFox likes this.
  3. Draygashi

Draygashi World Record (Al Hata), CUC

SamuraiWay is that you?

KarateMan likes this.
  4. oTedd

oTedd Member

I only dont agree with that kG, Too overpowered, And the two hit kick combo doesn't make sense, how can there be a combo for kk and a combo for kkkk, I suggest you change it to KP. But the air punch mechanic seems super neat, like a spike, It would be really op on dos or moon.

5. SacredSwordJr

SacredSwordJr Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure its going to be Meriken's jump punch :>

6. Comoros

things seem wonky right now because there are no descriptions. I didn't have time yesterday to put that in but they will be in soon.

it me

7. 12characters

12characters Well-Known Member

suppppport

8. Comoros

Okay Umbra for the most part has been given all of its information. All I need to do now is put the air kick gif to show a demonstration.
    If you have any criticisms please post them here. if you have any suggestions, post them here.
    If you don't support Umbra, then you don't support fresh new mechanics to add to the game, which is pitiful!

9. Shana

Shana Creator of Heartseeker, SF, IAS, BD & CC

add a poll

can't vote :(

10. TheDL6Incident

TheDL6Incident Creator of Buki

Eh

11. Comoros

poll added
    where's the feedback

12. Shana

nice

you should've set the poll to "publicly visible"

so you can see who votes yes, and even the people who say no

13. Comoros

well i saw that option when i first created the poll but i dont now

14. Shana

it's all good

my thread doesn't have public votes enabled either

but it's something I would've tried if I were to start all over again

BJJFromGJJ likes this.
  15. SacredSwordJr

I mean I already vote yes to another umbra suggestion so...

16. Comoros

damn some dude tried to put my idea into the game that's dedication
    but that reminds me i actually redid umbra so i should apply it

17. Shana

Azteca has a fast axe kick though lol

18. SacredSwordJr

So is this a rare ?

19. tamirtov

tamirtov Clean Up Crew

Support !

20. Tengu

Tengu Creator of Savate

Unless this is android only this shouldn't have TWO unique air attacks. Pick one and cut the other.

PPPP's 3rd punch is identical to Cyclone's 1st punch and they will recycle it because it's the same anim.

KKKK's 1-2 kicks are Azteca's 1st kick via them seeing this already and clipping what they liked because they didn't like the overall product. I bring this up because my suggestion is to do something to make it different. Also your current KKKK finisher looks more like a launcher than a knockdown. I'd make the KKK(G+K) the new KKKK as it's unique mechanic should be easily accessible as the kick combo is often the bread and butter combo of a kick-based scroll.

KKKP isnt a good combo. Visually it looks more like an attack that should pull them in like a vacuum hit or as a move that flattens them (El Luchador's kG) while maybe even applying a debuff like the foe being unable to jump for a very small handful of seconds after wake up. It would also be better as a shorter combo so you can quickly punish people as opposed to getting a little more damage out of the combo which can just be made up for by buffing the hit's damage.

The counter would be better if it were a multi-hit counter (Tengoryu/Electro) or a multi-input counter (ChoyLiFut) where the 2nd hit is a 360 hit capable of hitting all foes. This attack should have HIGH recovery for how amazing it is.

kG would be better if you didn't cross them up and instead just zipped to them if contact was made for a regular knockdown. It would be like the Abyss kG but you only moved if it connected. Or it could be a kGP/kGK where if the kG lands you zip in for (example) an elbow that can then be followed up by 1 of 2 different options. So much potential not being tapped into here.

>>G should just be a dodge identical to The Wind's kGP as if it was used without the kG before hit.

I love the Dark Guardian theme (DarkGuardian guild leader) but based on how this scroll's finer points feel (kG, >>G, spiral kick, whirling handstand, grab and counter) I can't help but feel like this at heart should be related to The Wind and Cyclone. The counter and KKKP could be replaced by a small tornado being summed on the player and other combos re-themed similarly. It would be like a version of The Wind if people couldn't make it look bad by spamming the >>GK!

Oh! I also suggest switching one of your kick finishers to be a punch combo mixer for versatility.

NeoStrayFox likes this.