[Petition] Fix Mistranslated/Wrong Scroll Names

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Tengu, Jul 7, 2016.

?

Do you want the GemFighter scroll names?

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. Tengu

Tengu Creator of Savate

Anybody else think we should have the names of the scrolls corrected to match Gem Fighter so theres no confusion i.e. Bison Balrog Vega. Not many people may remember it but Muhon's Ninjitsu was actually suggested by a player and it was called Bushin which can be seen in our game files. I think things like this must be fixed.

My post from the spelling error event.

NeoStrayFox and BJJFromGJJ like this.
  2. Kayden

Kayden Mastermind, Crowd Favorite & Typhoon Armor Creator

I have a bit of a problem with this.

1. Aikido is the correct translation / scroll name. Hapkido is just a Korean way of saying "Aikido". They are the same thing, but in English, Aikido would be correct. It's a Japanese martial arts, therefore in English, we should call it in respect to its origin.

2. Jin or Zin. In Korean, both are "진". This Korean word can have a Chinese-character derived meaning to it. If we don't know the derived version for both of them, you can't really argue what's correct.

Since you are not Korean, let me explain this more thoroughly.
    The Korean word "신" can have different meaning based on its origin (Chinese Character).
    For example.
    A. 臣 = Subject, Retainer, Citizen, Hostage, ... etc.
    B. 腎 = Kidney (or rarely, Testicles.)
    C. 蜃 = Clams, Mythical Creatures, Marine Creatures without Bones (like Octopus), ... etc.
    D. 辛 = Spicy​

However, "신" in Korean itself, only means "God" or traditional way for saying "Shoes".
    Therefore, it's really hard to define which one is correct. (You see why translation can be a problem?)

3. Twister. Is. A. Horrible. Name. For. A. Scroll. In Gem Fighter, we want "루차도르(Luchador)" instead of "Twister".

Plum Ninjutsu isn't correctly translated name for 매화 인술(Mae-Hwa-In-Sul). "매화" means "Plum Blossom*" and "인술" means "Ninjutsu" -- so it should have been "Plum Blossom* Ninjutsu".

5. Hung Gar is Hung Gar in game, isn't it?

6. For all the Shaolin scroll names, let me explain:

Shaolin in Korean is "형권(Hyung-Kwon)", where "형(Hyung)" means "Appearance or Shape" and "권(Kwon)" means "Martial Arts".
    For "Shaolin Tiger (Ho-Hyungkwon)", "호(Ho)" has a Chinese Character derived meaning of "Tiger". Therefore, it is correctly translated. Also, you argued "Shaolin Crane" can just be "Crane", but just "Crane" or in Korean, 학권(鶴拳/Hak-Kwon) is not a branch of Shaolin and is a separate martial arts. The same explanation applies to other "Shaolin + _____" scrolls. What you should argue for is "Shaolin" that's 29,000 carats in Store. In Gem Fighter, it's named "소림권" in which is what martial artists learned to develop Shaolin. "소림권" is more closed to "Kung-Fu" compared to "Shaolin".

"-Pakuakwon should have it's name changed to Hakkyokuken as it is in the game data. The name is a tribute to a martial art from History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi. Pakua is either a totally different martial art or a mistranslation of Baguazhang. Ba Gua - Pa Kua."
    Well, ... it is true that "Tong-bei-kwon(통배권)" is based on the manga called, "Kung Fu Boy Chinmi" and Metatron/Sa-shin-mu(사신무) is based on the manga called "NOW". But, "Tong-bei-kwon" is a real martial arts meanwhile "Sa-shin-mu" isn't.

*Fun Fact 1: "Sa-Shin-Mu" literally means "The Martial Arts of a Devil or Evil Spirit".
    **Fun Fact 2: "Kwon" is equivalent to "Quan". "Kwon" is the Korean pronunciation and "Quan" is the Chinese pronunciation both directly delivered in English characters.

However, both "Pa-Kua-Kwon" and "Baguazhang" are real martial arts and they are not based on whatever the manga you listed there. "팔극권" and "팔괘장" are from the same branch of martial arts, but they are separate and correctly translated. It's just the difficulties English attempting to mimic Chinese pronunciation.

Lastly, in English, many "G" sounds are written with "K" and many "D" sounds are written with "T" instead. So, don't trust the English spellings.

8. Darksider is Darksider in Gem Fighter too.

9. The mixed martial arts style in London, "Bushin" is an adaptive street fighting. In Korean, "Muhon's Ninjutsu" is "무혼류 인술". "무혼(Mu-Hon)" can have two meanings.
    1. Infinite Pathway
    2. Absence of Spirituality
    I believe NimoniX used "Mu-Hon" for the first definition as it matches the "adaptive street fighting" part. Please, don't ask me why they put "Ninjutsu".

***Fun Fact 3: "Bushin" in Korean has a meaning "Adrenal glands, or Suprarenal glands".

10. Zin Karate is an original name made by developers of Gem Fighter. "Kyokushin Karate" is a real Japanese martial arts and its Korean name is "극진공수도". If what you've said is correct, in Gem Fighter, the name of the martial art SHOULD BE "극진공수도(Keuk-Zin Karate)". However, it's named, "진공수도(Zin Karate)" in Gem Fighter as well.

11. "Geumgangtu" and "Kum Kang Tu" are the same thing. As you've noticed, in Korean to English translation, Rumble Fighter has been spelling the same thing in both Korean and Chinese pronunciation, such as "Kwon" and "Quan". This one is the same thing.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  3. Gearman

Gearman Active Member

Maehwa So it should be called Plum Blossom
    Twister lol an El Luchador is someone that completes in Lucha Libre, that changes was an improvement
    Five Animals is the practice of the five forms which came from the shaolin temple, the scroll in game has a focus on the snake form and the tiger style uses open hand attacks.
    As for crane well click here.

Shina likes this.
  4. Shina

Shina Creator of Shattering Hand

GIMME MAH SHIET

more importantly, yes I agree.

I cant help much., but i'll see what I can do.

BJJFromGJJ likes this.
  5. Tengu

Tengu Creator of Savate

I've lived in a semi-dominantly spanish speaking area my whole life and hearing "El Luchador" which translates to "The Wrestler" sounds very silly whereas Twister made sense based around the moves it had and fit in with other scroll names.
    Five Animals doesn't focus on snake form it just uses it for a SINGLE combo so lets just name the whole scroll after it? Makes cents.
    Also I've known Crane was Lee Rekka since release and in this case actually makes somewhat sense having "Shaolin" strapped onto it.
    Tiger tho is NOT a Shaolin scroll it's a f-ing Persona scroll :'I They are practically brother and sister

BJJFromGJJ likes this.
  6. Tengu

Tengu Creator of Savate

Hung Gar is "Hungar" in game because they for some reason are attempting the impossible task of getting RFNA to not say nigger.

Either way Sasinmu is infinitely better than naming the scroll after a Judeo-Christian Angel. Bushin is what was suggested. brb /wrists

NeoStrayFox likes this.
  7. Tengu

Tengu Creator of Savate

You mean Scorpion's generic moves from MK1? Ninjitsu already in shop. ;D

8. iwannadielel

iwannadielel Well-Known Member

fznry48svtx21.jpg

Tengu likes this.
  9. Kayden

Kayden Mastermind, Crowd Favorite & Typhoon Armor Creator

Sa-shin-mu is an imaginary scroll based on the manga called, "NOW". The name really doesn't matter for the scroll. "Metatron" still fits the characteristic of the scroll. Although, I agree with you on the fact that the original name is better, but we can't really argue for what's a better fitting name.

Hung Gar is Hung Gar in-game. I just checked.

And for Bushin, Gem Fighter couldn't have used that word. It means something completely different than what the creator might have thought. It seems like "Bushin" in Chinese means "path seekers". But, in Korean, it means "Adrenal glands, or Suprarenal glands".

... You don't want a scroll called "Adrenal Glands", right?

Anyway, the name still fits the original idea as I've already explained in the above section.

Ultimately, NimoniX is the developer and they make their own choices for the game. We have seen so many suggestions that they have changed because they just looked "better" to them compared to the original ideas. NimoniX already mentioned the fact that they take the suggestions as a reference to their items. We just can't fight for these stuff ... you know?